Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Money Saver Challenge Day 4: Plan Your Grocery Shopping Trip

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM
  • 249 Replies
2 moms liked this

Welcome to Day 4 of the Money Saver Challenge!

How do you make grocery shopping less expensive? Plan out your menus for the week before you head to the store based on what your supermarket has on sale. Don't go to the grocery store hungry or you'll spend more! Buy the store brand whenever you can and avoid taking your kids with you if you can help it.

How often do you shop for groceries?
Do you use a list for your trips, or just wing it?
Do you use coupons to help save money?

One member who signs up for our Money Saver Challenge and replies to at least 5 of the 7 daily posts will win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:
Join Our Money Saver Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card & Bonus Prizes, Too!!

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:17 AM
I shop a few times a week because some stores sales start sunday some monday and some Wednesday here.

I coupon and never buy anything without a coupon or sale.

I make lists and stick to them unless I find a super deal in store.

And we eat what is on sale free money makers or we have on hand.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:25 AM

I plan my trips 95% of the time.  I p.an meals before I shop based on what I have in the house and what I know I can afford to buy.

How often do you shop for groceries? Every 1 or 2 weeks
Do you use a list for your trips, or just wing it?  Use a list 95% of the time
Do you use coupons to help save money?  My favorite food store doesn't accept coupons (they're cheap enough that it's fine with me), and I do use coupons when possible for things other than food at other stores.

lcrapo3
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I match my list with the ads and my coupons!

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:42 AM

I plan out my menu using what I have on hand, then checking the specials, then make a list of needed items and send DH to the store once a week. He only buys what's on the list-I buy extras so it saves to send him. I use coupons only for things I regularly buy or for a new product I want to try.

johnny4ever
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM

I shop every Friday alone if I can!I sit down Thursday night and make a list,go through coupons.I also use a few websites that have coupon match ups!I always use coupons.I plan a meal planning schedule also while doing my list.Plus I always take my binder!And check those clearance shelves!

kabrooks
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:18 AM

I use a list and try to shop only once a week. I use coupons when I can on household items especially toiletries as we are trying to eat healthier so we are getting away from the canned and frozen foods. I price match as much as possible so I only have to stop at one store versus all the grocery stores. I stick to my list unless I find an awesome deal on something I know will get used. I also try to check out the marked down meat and see if I can get better meat deals that way.

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM
I plan out a two week menu and shop every other week with maybe a fruit and veggie run on the non shopping week.

I always shop with a list.

I rarely use coupons on food. I will occasionally use a non food coupon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Larisa72
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I plan my grocery shopping around the circulars and what I can match coupons up to.  I usually shop hmm....once a month, sometimes once every 2 months because I meal plan based on what I was able to get the last trip.  I *always* use coupons when I shop and I found a great "2 store shopping list" that I use (there are 4 stores that I pass when running other errands, so I use one column for each store and attach the coupons at the bottom of the page).  Using the coupons definitely helps save money, but so does the fact that we have a "scratch and dent" grocery store where things are really discounted (but you can't use coupons)....just got a whole ham - the kind that the deli will slice for you - for $7.  Trying to decide if I should see about having the deli at Food Lion slice it up for me....if not, that's ok as well, I can cook it and divide it for meals with no problems.  I did the most recent shopping yesterday and only went to 2 stores because some thing we really didn't need, and some things I was able to find cheaper at those 2 than at the other 2...total spent was about $235 and that should get us through March and most likely into April if I plan things correctly....family of 4 and the only things I will probably have to get are toilet paper and pet food

EDITED to add: I just deal meal plans using all but a bag of chicken breasts.  Planned meals for SIX (6) weeks, using what I already had and what I just bought.  For a family of 4, that works out to $9.75 PER PERSON, PER WEEK!  Color me a happy camper!  AND, everybody is on board with small batch canning as fruits and vegetables are in season and on sale, so we will be saving on that as well...woohoo, happy girl!!

IrishMama88
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM
I try to do this whenever I can. I shop with as many coupons as I can and look through the circulars. I usually need to shop once a week, but sometimes don't have time so I end up stopping at the store for a few things here and there (I'm sure I end up spending more that way). I try to plan a menu of meals for the week and then use that as a guide. I definitely need to do better, but carving out the time to do it is my biggest challenge, especially with an 8-month-old.
bons62
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I check out our store ads that come in Sundays papers - check out my coupons - go online to see what other coupons I can get.  I do pretty well with coupons, but also shop at Aldi's that saves me alot too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN