Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Money Saver Challenge Day 3: Start Your Savings Journal ~ WIN A PRIZE!!

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:00 AM
  • 261 Replies

*BONUS DAY*
One member who replies to this post will be chosen at random to WIN a CafeMom Tote Bag!

Welcome to Day 3 of the Money Saver Challenge!

Do you always remember to record what you spend each day or each week? Writing down everything you spend is a good way to keep track of how much money is leaving your accounts and analyze what you can eliminate from your monthly spending. Start a journal to track your family's expenses in however much detail you feel comfortable with and use it to show off your best steals and deals, too!

Are you good at recording your expenses?
Do you use a computer program or traditional paper method to track spending?
What's the best deal you've gotten recently?

One member who signs up for our Money Saver Challenge and replies to at least 5 of the 7 daily posts will win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:
Join Our Money Saver Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card & Bonus Prizes, Too!!

Official Rules 

• The Money Saver Bonus 1 Giveaway starts 2/21/13 at 1am (ET) and ends 2/28/13 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to 5 of the 7 daily posts with appropriate comments during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a CafeMom Tote Bag.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 3/7/13.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmwmommy
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:55 AM

In the past I wasn't, but I have made it a habit to now record all of my expenses. It does help to watch your budget if you can physically see where everything is going.

I use both. I favor pen and paper but I have recently became an addict of my Google documents (thanks to my awesome boyfriend). :)

The best deal we've recieved recently has been televisions we got from Walmart at a very discounted price. I'm a lady who loves sales and I'm glad we didn't pass up the chance when we saw it! We saved hundreds on these things and it's definetly a brag-worthy buy!

tnovak
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Currently I do not record, I use a debit card so I can look online if I forget.  The best deal had to be peanut butter for .50/jar.  I was really happy about that.

LadyKiki
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I do the old fashion paper method. I sit down and pay bills twice a month and I record them all then. I try to check every other day and get debits added into the check book. I do like online banking for that because it helps me keep more up to date. I do slip sometimes but mostly when my husband gets something with the debit card and forgets to tell me about it. He usually gets a call at work from me asking about things I don't reconginze. Doesn't happen too often though. I am all about getting good deals. I think the best deal was I needed new sheets for my sons new bed. I was looking for twin size, sheets cost so much. I was happy to find a three piece set for $7.00 on clearance at Target. I really like it when I find what I am looking for on sale :).

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Are you good at recording your expenses?  Not as good as I should be, but it's updated every few days
Do you use a computer program or traditional paper method to track spending?  I use Microsoft's Money Sunset program...I've been using Microsoft Money since 2004 and LOVE IT!
What's the best deal you've gotten recently?  I bought three outfits for my granddaughter from Totsy....$8.50 each for outfits that were normally priced $30 to $60!

Moms_Angels1960
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:29 AM

No, I am not good at recording what I spend

No, I don't use any program

Best deal Hmmm can't think of anything other than the plastic eggs I bought for $1.00 at Target.

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I try to write down and keep recipts for everything.

AmeliasMommy206
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I am diligent. I don't necessary record them every day, but on a weekly basis, I adjust my budget and expenses.

LilliesValley
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM
The only thing I write down stuff in is my checkbook. Our bank has a built in program to our account that tracks gas, groceries, etc. I don't use it much. We don't have tons of money so we are pretty tight on purchases as it is.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM
I used to keep track of things like that, but I stopped for some reason. I suppose I should get back to it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mmeredith
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you good at recording your expenses? Yes, I've gotten better at learning to track our money. Before this past year I had no idea where our money was going or what we was making a month. This method for right now is helping out a lot.
Do you use a computer program or traditional paper method to track spending? I have a huge desk calendar that I put down where I spent money at & what it's for & how much our checks will be.
What's the best deal you've gotten recently? At Kroger a couple weeks ago I only spent $30 & saved over $100 with all my coupons and deals. I was excited about that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN