Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Money Saver Challenge Day 2: Reduce Your Cell Phone Expenses

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM
  • 271 Replies
2 moms liked this

Welcome to Day 2 of the Money Saver Challenge!

How much do you pay for your cell phone each month? Call your provider or check their website to see if there are any adjustments you can make to your plan to save money like reducing minutes, changing data plans, or switching to a family plan. You may also want to think about getting rid of your landline and using your cell phone instead.

How many cell phones do you and your family have?
Do you still have a landline phone?
Would you save by switching to a VOIP (voice over internet provider)?

One member who signs up for our Money Saver Challenge and replies to at least 5 of the 7 daily posts will win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:
Join Our Money Saver Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card & Bonus Prizes, Too!!

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyKiki
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Our home phone is magic jack, so 29.99 every year. Then my cell phone is $10 every two months, a pay as you go kinda thing. My husbands cell phone is the most but he needs a good phone for work, which is $35 a month. I haven't been able to find a way to make it any cheaper than this. It is about $42.50 every month for the three phones in our house.

kitchenwitch27
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Nice LadyKiki!

There is only one service provider who gets signals where we live so we are limited on options. However, we got the smallest data plan available and dh and I share that. We called our home phone provider a few years ago to see if we could cancel our home phone. I had just been laid off. So, they threw it in for only $1 a month. Nice! We mainly just pay for our Internet now but dh is in cyber security so we kinda need it. ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:59 AM

I use virgin mobile pre-paid. I spend 35 plus tax for 300 min, unlimted text and data.  I think its a great deal considering other contract plans.

scorpiobabes
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM
We have no landline phone. We have only 2 cell phones (when I stopped working, I couldn't afford the extra $35 a month for my daughters phone). We are with AT&T, but only one phone is under contract. I'd love to figure out how to jailbreak the phones (iPhones) and switch to StraightTalk for nearly 50% savings. I've got it halfway done, but want to back my phone up before I attempt it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM

We have a Tracphone plus a home phone.We only use Cell phone for School & Emergency purposes.My Hubby negotiated for a Bundle Price of $130 for Internet,Digital Cable & Home Phone.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

How many cell phones do you and your family have?  DH has a prepaid-as-you-go (avg. $5/month), two of the kids have tracphones.  I do not have, nor do I want, a cell phone.
Do you still have a landline phone?  Yes, bundled with our high-speed internet and satellite TV for even more savings
Would you save by switching to a VOIP (voice over internet provider)? I never looked into it.

SparklingHope
by Melissa on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

We don't own a cell phone. We just pay $65 for phone (landline) and internet service (DSL) a month. I do wanna switch over to wireless this year though. 

Larisa72
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:22 AM

We have 2 cell phones: 1 for hubby, 1 for me....easy reason: he has to drive over the mountain to get to work...roughly an hour 1 way, and I always have at least one child with me and since there are no pay phones anymore, am more comfortable having one in case of emergency.

Yes, we still have a landline....we have NO cell reception inside the house - the cell tower is on a hill about half a mile away from us, so we are below the signal

Not sure if we would save using VOIP, but we had it before and didn't like it especially when there were troubles with service...no way to call someone when our internet is down for upgrades

oddfox
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:22 AM

We don't have a cell phone. A land line is part of our housing arrangement so it wouldn't be worth it for us to have a cell. We use a discount long distance service, Pioneer, and that's perfect. Less than $10 a month.

IrishMama88
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:24 AM
We got rid of our landline phone when we moved into our new house last spring. We also use a family plan on our cellphones. I'm getting a smartphone in a month or so, and I plan to ask about any discounts I can apply as well as a corporate discount through my husband's employer (mine is small, but his is a pretty big corporation that offers a discount). If you don't know whether or not you can get a discount, you can either look it up online through your provider (they'll have a link on their site to tell you if it exists) or you can just ask. I looked up using a VOIP, and it wouldn't be any cheaper than what we've got now, and probably less service.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)