Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Budget Breaking Discretionary Spending

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM
  • 22 Replies

Hair cut

Spending habit: $32 bi-monthly trim Annual spending: $192 Career spending: $7,680 Potential Career Return if you let it grow and invested into a Roth IRA: $31,497

Music Downloads

Spending habit: 2 albums per month at $9.99 Annual spending: $239.76 Career spending: $9,590 Potential Career Return if you opened a Pandora account and invested into a Roth IRA: $39,207

Daily paper

Spending habit: $.75 daily Annual spending: $273 Career spending: $10,920 Potential Career Return if you got your news online and invested into a Roth IRA: $44,785

Morning coffee

Spending habit: $1.38 daily on weekdays Annual spending: $358 Career spending: $14,351 Potential Career Return if you brewed your own and invested into a Roth IRA: $58,729

Hair color

Spending habit: $75 bi-monthly touch up Annual spending: $450 Career spending: $18,000 Potential Career Return if you went au naturale and invested into a Roth IRA: $73,821

Manicure

Spending habit: $10 weekly Annual spending: $520 Career spending: $20,800 Potential Career Return if invested into a Roth IRA: $85,304

Starbucks (OMG - I am guilty of this almost daily, my drink costs just over $4)

Spending habit: $3.10 daily on weekdays Annual spending: $806 Career spending: $32,240 Potential Career Return if you made your own and invested into a Roth IRA: $132,222

Gym membership

Spending habit:$80 monthly membership Annual spending: $960 Career spending: $38,400 Potential Career Return if you took up running and invested into a Roth IRA: $157,485

Lunch

Spending habit: $7 daily on weekdays Annual spending: $1,820 Career spending: $72,800 Potential Career Return if invested into a Roth IRA: $298,568

When it comes to spending, what’s your morning M.O.?

If you’re like most Americans, you’re stopping on the way to work to grab a cup of coffee.

And all that coffee adds up.

At a national average cost of $1.38 per cup, that’s an annual spending of $358. Spin that out over the course of your career and you might find you’ve dropped over $14,000 on morning joe.

Pick your jaw up off the floor.

“The money we spend every day is so easy to overlook,” says Alexa von Tobel, founder and CEO of LearnVest. “What’s important is to help people really frame the little spending and how it adds up.”

In the interest of scaring you straight, we’ve broken up how all of those little discretionary purchases add up over the course of an average 40-year career of living—and looking–good.

“Most women get their hair cut and/or colored six times a year,” says Steph Goldwin, a NYC-based stylist. While costs for these services vary widely from city to city and surely from salon to salon, American Salon, a publication for beauty industry professionals, reported the numbers as $21 for a cut in a salon with fewer than 6 chairs, and $44 for a salon with more than 13 chairs for an average of $32. Annual spend? $192. But Goldwin, whose cuts run upwards of $80 a session, warns that adding a color treatment can add close to $100 to each visit. For simplicity’s sake, we’ll call a cut and color $125. Annually? $750. After 40 years that’s a salon bill of $30,000—how’s that for keeping your roots from going gray?

Are you a woman who falls prey to the weekly manicure trap? At $10 a week you’ll drop $520 each year. After a 40-year career of perfectly manicured fingertips, you’ll have shelled out nearly $21,000.

Buy a daily paper? $11,000.

Go out to lunch during the workweek? $72,000.

Prefer a Starbucks latte to your average cup of coffee? $32,000.

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gorilla_Mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I spend money on none of those...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I can honestly say that I might have a music download spending habit of $2/month.  I guess that would add up if I did that for $30 years...?  

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I am not guilty of any of these either. I don't think many of us in this group would be.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:54 AM
I get hair cut maybe 2x a yr.. when great clips has coupons. Lol. My "bad" habit it getting my nails done... about 40 a month. Eating out is something I have cut back on but that is a budget buster for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM
I don't do any of those. I don't have enough spending money to have one of those habits.
Stacie03
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:45 AM
I don't spend on any of these.
XVAmomma
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:44 AM
tsf!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ziff130
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:58 AM
haha! If I had enough extra money to do any of those then I wouldn't be worried about saving it. LOL! It would be fun to have that money tucked away somewhere though.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Hair cuts twice a year (necessary for even long hair to be trimmed for healthy hair) are something I won't give up. Everything else I either do myself or don't do at all.
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM
The only time I get Starbucks is when I get a gift card. We get a Sunday paper but I figure that pays itself off with the coupons. I haven't been to get my hair trimmed for about a year - I have long curly hair and figure no one will notice a bad trim. So far, no one has said a thing!!! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)