Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Do you think this is worth it? Produce baskets from a farm! *UPDATE*

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 16 Replies

So, we don't have bountiful baskets or anything like that here but I did find a farm that fills baskets with produce. I was wondering if this sounds like it's worth it. Apparently everything is either organic or naturally grown (which basically means they are in the process of getting certified as organic). Of course, that isn't really a huge deal to me but anyways....

$29 for: 6 eggs, 1 bunch of spinach, 1 head of broccoli, 1 head of romaine lettuce, 2 carrots, 3 corn,  1 cucumber, 1 onion, 3 potatoes, 1/2 lb string beans, 3 oranges, 3 tangerines, 3 grapefruit, 3 apples, and a tomatoe. Along with butter and cheese. Is that worth it? It's all locally grown. They also have options of other things like syrups, local honey, milk, meat...etc. I think it sounds awesome. I just don't know.... I want to support the local farms, I want the local produce but I feel like I could get cheaper from the grocery store but would it be as healthy? I just don't know. What are your thoughts? I think I'm going to get a half basket (which is what's listed above) and see how I like it and then go from there. They offer them EVERY weekend. Thoughts?

The full basket comes with double the amound and is $53 so it's a better deal but I thought I'd start with the half basket and if I like it I'll move up to the full. :)

UPDATE:

This is the post from my blog about this:

Why didn't I join a produce coop before? What was I thinking? ha! Love this!!

Okay, you order a half or full basket. This is a half basket pictured (besides the milk and jar of honey). All the fruits, veggies and eggs are included in the basket. They also included a sample size of butter and cheese. Awesome!! The half basket is $29 and all the food is "naturally grown" or "organic". The milk was $4 and the honey was $10 but if I return the jar then it's $9. They also sell meat, nuts, cheeses, milk, buttermilk, cornmeal, grits, syrups, honey, canned foods, extra produce not included above, firewood...etc. Lots of stuff. It's awesome!!

Anyways, I digress.... so, after I got home and put all this awesome food away I went to Publix to price it and see if I actually saved anything. I don't normally buy organic so I wanted to price the regular food too. Just the basket foods (not counting the cheese and butter samples) would have cost me $36.69. If I had bought the produce that was available as organic (not all of this was available as organic though) it would have cost me $50.10. So, I think I have found something Awesome!

Did I mention how awesome this is? I plan on making this a weekly thing. :)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM

it sounds good to me! how much milk and butter would you be getting?

lynettemommie4
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM

sounds like a good deal. another plus is it will be fresher than what u get in stores. I would take it if i could.

caseyloo
by Casey on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I think it depends on how quickly you go through things.  We would have most of that done in just a couple days and then I would have to go to the store.  To do the double just seems to expensive to me. 

MsBlueBelle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:54 AM

I cannot give you any idea of the value or if it is good or not.  I have to drive at least once a month to my doctor's office for a visit, this may sound simple, but the doctors office is 89 miles, each way.  Halfway there, a city called Clanton, and I make it my typical rest stop.  There is only one State run rest stop on that section of highway, which is safe and nice, but I prefer Clanton.  There are several farms, peach orchards and pick your own produce by the pint, quart or bushel.  I don't have much energy to pick my own, but I have been visiting these same vendors for years.  They sort of know me and they have some set aside for me. 

This is the water tower for Clanton, Alabama, the peach capitol of Alabama. 

a_and_j_momma
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:25 AM
It sounds ok bc it includes butter and cheese but it depends on how much. I would go through that produce in a week. At our local fruit stand I bought for $21

Kale (one bunch)
Romaine lettuce (head)
1 shallot
1 purple onion
1 yellow onion
1 lb mushrooms
3 large zucchini
1 tub of blueberries
1lb tomatoes
1 bag of spinach
3 heads of broccoli
1 head of cauliflower
3 cucumbers
Bunch of bananas

I bought a box of pink lady apples for $9

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lnk8522
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:26 AM
That sounds pretty good. Mainly because its stuff I eat. They offer stuff like that here,but its a little more expensive,and they don't tell you exactly what you're gonna get,its all dependent on the season and how plentiful the fields are. Not a good option since we are picky veggie eaters. I prefer the farmers markets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ziff130
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:38 AM
Each week they post what will be available and you get to choose 15 items. The half basket is half the amount so that's how you know how much of the item you get. I like the way they do it but I have no idea how much butter or cheese it is. They offer lots of extras too.... meat, honey, milk... this month they also have nuts and canning cucumbers for extras as well. I think it looks great. It could be fun and healthy. :-)

Quoting lnk8522:

That sounds pretty good. Mainly because its stuff I eat. They offer stuff like that here,but its a little more expensive,and they don't tell you exactly what you're gonna get,its all dependent on the season and how plentiful the fields are. Not a good option since we are picky veggie eaters. I prefer the farmers markets.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jody230
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I subscribe to a farm every summer. It's about $23 a box, and what you get depends on what is ready. We don't get to pick. It's organic, and local, which I like. The best way to decide if it's worth it, is to look at the organic section of your grocery store and see what the prices are like. I know with our farm, they pick in the morning, and deliver in the afternoon, so everything is super fresh and lasts longer than things in the store. If you decide to do it, my only suggestion is to use the things that can be frozen first. Then eveything else.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:15 AM

If organic isn't that big a deal for you, then this is expensive.  You'd probably find better deals at a local produce market.

lillucky8
by Jen on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM
To me it sounds a little expensive, in my area i could probably get non organic full bags of those items for the same, like instead of three potatoes itd be a 5lb bag kind of thing, but if the prices are good for your area id say go for it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)