Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Couple Glues 60,000 Pennies to Bedroom Floor & It Looks as Crazy as It Sounds-Would you do this to your floor?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:49 PM
  • 56 Replies

Couple Glues 60,000 Pennies to Bedroom Floor & It Looks as Crazy as It Sounds

Posted by Ericka Sóuter on January 23, 2013

penny floor

Well, here are my two cents: this is the craziest decorating decision I have seen in awhile. A Chicago couple has glued 60,000 pennies to their bedroom floor.

Instead of forking over thousands on new flooring, they decided to make a change with ... well ... change. And yes, it looks as crazy as it sounds.

Ryan Lange and Emily Belden have paved their entire 234-square-foot bedroom with pennies, which amounted to about $600 worth. It's a much cheaper option than cherry wood floods, that's for sure. The project started when they wanted to renovate their bedroom and inspiration hit Ryan as he stared at a jar of pennies in their house.

"We'd been looking up options and were thinking about being green when I said we should just tile the floor in pennies,” he said in an interview. Well, I have to say, that is certainly recycling at its best. Friends even got in on the cause, bringing over the coins they had lying around their own homes. The couple even found a couple of rare ones to plaster to the floor (like an Indian head penny from 1873).

It looks cool, I will give them that. The variation of colors is mesmerizing, if not dizzying. But what will they do when the novelty wears off? I can't imagine looking at the metallic floor for 15 years. Check out the entire process of creating a penny floor:

Would you do this to your floor?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

That's $600 in pennies, I could be using for something else! Lol. No, I wouldn't do that!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Ick.  No.

TryingAgain72
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I think it looks neat but I wouldn't do it.

eesmommy
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Call me crazy but its kinda cool looking.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
scorpiobabes
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM

To each his own. I prefer wood floors with a couple of area rugs because my feet are ALWAYS cold!

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I personally wouldn't do it because I think it would be a PIA to clean and don't think it would hold up well but it is an interesting design concept and I guess, cheaper than conventional flooring.

my4boys2002
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Interesting but not sure I'd want it in my house
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zoo003
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Then I am crazy too, because I also liked it.   

Quoting eesmommy:

Call me crazy but its kinda cool looking.

RoseWall
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM

cool

RoseWall
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:29 PM

no, i would not, i don have any money for flooring. not even pennies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)