Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

dh is driving me nuts

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM
  • 24 Replies

i've been talking about investing in an ac for the house. we have a swamp cooler right now, but if its too humid or above 95 if doesn't really work. 

Last yr we had a record number of 100 degree days, with an astonishing amount 105+.   We have a brick house and even shaded, with the swamp cooler running it was pushing 85 inside.  My kids ended up feeling sick from the heat alot and they were unable to fall asleep till after 11p due to their rooms being too hot, even with fans blowing on them. Last yr it started hitting 70's and 80's in march.

This yr its already hitting 70's in jan and alot of cities are talking about water restrictions.  If those happen here we can't use the swamp cooler either.

I think investing in an ac makes sense and it will raise the value of the house.   Plus we have friends that own an ac company! we can get the unit and have it installed for cheap especially since the duct work is already there.

gah!  dh sees no issue in spending a thousand or more a a tool/gun/trailer he WANTS but spending the same on an ac which will last a long time, we can get it for cheap, raise the value of the house, make the kids more comfortable, etc etc....he whines about.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AzariahsMother
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Sending you hugs! 

matreshka
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Have you told him what you told us, all of the logical aspects of it?  Because I don't see how there can really be an argument against it but husband's are interesting creatures. I hope you get the ac.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Does the heat not bother him?

opal10161973
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Let him whine all he wants, but still get the A/C.  It makes absolutely NO sense for the entire family to be miserable, especially if they put water restrictions on this year. 

You both or the kids could end up in the ER with heat exhaustion or worse and then you'll be spending thousands on medical bills instead of on an A/C that could have prevented all of it.  One more thing, when someone gets heat exhaustion, they have a much higher chance of getting it in the future, so it is irresponsible to NOT get the A/C. 

RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Quoting matreshka:

Have you told him what you told us, all of the logical aspects of it?  Because I don't see how there can really be an argument against it but husband's are interesting creatures. I hope you get the ac.

yes i have, multiple times!  his come back? well it costs more to run then a swamp cooler  banging head into wall

thats it!  there always seems to be a con to all things.  Its not like i'm going to make the bill get to $300+.  I just don't think he wants to spend the money on something that isn't a toy for him

matreshka
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Ugh, I hate that!  My dh can be very obtuse and stick to one point no matter how wrong he is as well.

Quoting RosePetalTears:

Quoting matreshka:

yes i have, multiple times!  his come back? well it costs more to run then a swamp cooler  banging head into wall

thats it!  there always seems to be a con to all things.  Its not like i'm going to make the bill get to $300+.  I just don't think he wants to spend the money on something that isn't a toy for him

CotterpinDoozer
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Ah, so it's ok for HIM to spend money on something he wants, but something the whole family could not only enjoy, but actually needs he's being a child? Sit him down and tell him that if you aren't getting a AC then he isn't getting anymore toys for himself either. It sounds like he's putting his wants above the needs of his family and that needs to stop.

MsBlueBelle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I can't imagine not having central a/c, it is just as important as central heat.  I don't have any idea how a swamp cooler works, you must be out in Colorado or Arizona, where those are more common.  I have a heat pump, which pulls the heat from the outside temperatures to heat the house, it also has a back up electric heater when it is colder than normal in Alabama, it works in reverse in the summer.  It pulls the heat from the inside to make it cooler indoors.  I have a programmable thermostat that I keep set at 66 & 68 degrees.  It won't get any hotter than 68 degrees in the summer and it won't let the house get any colder than 66 in the winter.  I also like the feature that I can turn on the fan only, so it acts as a whole house fan, I open the patio doors and the front door, with the fan on, it pulls fresh air through the house.  It was about $5,500 for the system installed, but they last at least 15 to 20 years with annual maintenance.  They work best in our climate, hot & humid.  My house is 1,100 square feet, heavily insulated, double paned windows, thermal insulated doors, so my entire electric bill (all electric except the gas water heater) is $130 per month.  Yes, people wear sweaters in my house in the summer, they tell me I can package frozen meat in the hallway!  I cannot handle heat and humidity.  Our power is very inexpensive here as we have a major nuclear plant and many hydroelectric power plants.

MsBlueBelle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I guess this is the small blessing of being single, yes I make all the decisions, but then again, I cannot blame anyone else if it all goes wrong.

mem82
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM

yikes! I bet once it's installed he will quit whining. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)