Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Meal Post for the week of January 27th- February 2nd

Posted by   + Show Post
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Replies (11-16):
Queen_Bree
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I am in amzement and at the same time it makes so much sense that i feel stupid for being amazed...lol. Ive been cutting grains my so is hispanic.. tons of beans and rice... ugg after 5 months together i was feeling sick and down and had gained back 10 pounds but we have cut them and I am feeling a  lot better. I hope I can achieve what you have some day. Thanks I wish you the best.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I made the change two years ago next month.  I had a myriad of health problems and I was soooo tired of feeling sick and old all the time, watching my blood sugars remain uncontrolled even with meds and insulin, and spending a few nights a week in pain and misery with digestive issues.  I had tried vegetarian diet, Mediterranean diet, Makers diet...and none of them helped.  Someone on CM pointed out in a post to another member the Primal/Paleo way of eating, and out of curiosity I checked it out.  Everything made perfect sense.  I gave it a try, and within ONE MONTH of changing my blood pressure was back to normal, my blood sugars were looking much better, and I was feeling better.  Then I visited the doctor and got the cholesterol results, which were phenomenal. I realized then that I no longer had the digestive issues, the skin rash, the mood swings and depression, etc.  The start of kidney disease due to diabetes disappeared.  All of those were PLENTY of reason for me to continue with the way I was eating.  I am getting more than adequate nutrition while eating less food and still feeling full, and my body loves it!

I don't include any grains.  If you see foods that are typically made with grains, it's because I have found alternate recipes that use nut flours instead of grain flours.  Nut flours have more nutrition, just as much if not more fiber than WW flour, and have more flavor.  I've since found that sticking to lower carb foods (not much fruit, no natural sweeteners besides stevia, few if any potatoes) gives me even more control over my blood sugars.

Quoting Queen_Bree:

I have been watching your posts and I notice you dont include many grains. Did you always eat this way? If not, did you find it hard to make the change? Thanks. I wish you the best!

Quoting michiganmom116:

January 27 – February 2, 2013

Sunday:

breakfast – breakfast bake, veggie juice

lunch – cheeseburger salad

dinner - pork chops in veggie sauce, salad

Monday:

breakfast – paleo almond granola w/diced apples, coconut milk, veggie juice

lunch – bratwurst, steamed veggie mix

dinner -short ribs, twice baked mock potato casserole, tomato & avocado salad

Tuesday:

breakfast – waffle hashbrowns w/sausage gravy, veggie juice

lunch – leftovers

dinner - bacon cheeseburger patty melts w/sauteed onions, mixed veggie salad

Wednesday:

breakfast – scrambled egg muffins, veggie juice

lunch – smoked sausage vegetable soup

dinner - spicy roast chicken, glazed carrots, salad

Thursday:

breakfast – eggs in ham cups, veggie juice

lunch – Caesar chicken salad using leftover chicken

dinner - BBQ beef roast, potato salad, steamed broccoli

Friday:

breakfast – veggie omelets, veggie juice

lunch – leftovers

dinner - broiled steaks, butternut squash, green beans

Saturday:

breakfast – veggie hash, poached eggs, veggie juice

lunch – paleo bread sandwiches – egg salad or ham

dinner - pizza salad

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:25 AM

I realized I never really answered your question "Was it hard to make the change?"  Changing my meal planning mindset was challenging...that I had to have a starch (usually pasta or bread of some kind) with a meal...but once I put together a list of meals that didn't include pasta or bread, or had found substitutes, the change was easy.  Those grain foods are now tasteless to me and I have little desire to eat them.  We "fill up" on salads or roasted or steamed veggies -- nutritional powerhouses -- instead of low-nutrition/full of calories & carbs fillers.  In fact, when I log my meals on My Fitness Pal, I usually have to eat MORE to meet the caloric requirements.  Can you imagine, having to eat MORE food just to meet 1200 calorie goal while most other people have to cut back on what they eat?

The kids weren't so keen on giving up their cereal for breakfast, but once they realized that what I was fixing instead was BETTER than cereal, they stopped complaining.

I spend LESS time in the kitchen than I did before I changed my diet.  I'm a very good cook/baker, but I will admit that I don't like to do either. 

Quoting Queen_Bree:

I am in amzement and at the same time it makes so much sense that i feel stupid for being amazed...lol. Ive been cutting grains my so is hispanic.. tons of beans and rice... ugg after 5 months together i was feeling sick and down and had gained back 10 pounds but we have cut them and I am feeling a  lot better. I hope I can achieve what you have some day. Thanks I wish you the best.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I made the change two years ago next month.  I had a myriad of health problems and I was soooo tired of feeling sick and old all the time, watching my blood sugars remain uncontrolled even with meds and insulin, and spending a few nights a week in pain and misery with digestive issues.  I had tried vegetarian diet, Mediterranean diet, Makers diet...and none of them helped.  Someone on CM pointed out in a post to another member the Primal/Paleo way of eating, and out of curiosity I checked it out.  Everything made perfect sense.  I gave it a try, and within ONE MONTH of changing my blood pressure was back to normal, my blood sugars were looking much better, and I was feeling better.  Then I visited the doctor and got the cholesterol results, which were phenomenal. I realized then that I no longer had the digestive issues, the skin rash, the mood swings and depression, etc.  The start of kidney disease due to diabetes disappeared.  All of those were PLENTY of reason for me to continue with the way I was eating.  I am getting more than adequate nutrition while eating less food and still feeling full, and my body loves it!

I don't include any grains.  If you see foods that are typically made with grains, it's because I have found alternate recipes that use nut flours instead of grain flours.  Nut flours have more nutrition, just as much if not more fiber than WW flour, and have more flavor.  I've since found that sticking to lower carb foods (not much fruit, no natural sweeteners besides stevia, few if any potatoes) gives me even more control over my blood sugars.

Quoting Queen_Bree:

I have been watching your posts and I notice you dont include many grains. Did you always eat this way? If not, did you find it hard to make the change? Thanks. I wish you the best!

Quoting michiganmom116:

January 27 – February 2, 2013

Sunday:

breakfast – breakfast bake, veggie juice

lunch – cheeseburger salad

dinner - pork chops in veggie sauce, salad

Monday:

breakfast – paleo almond granola w/diced apples, coconut milk, veggie juice

lunch – bratwurst, steamed veggie mix

dinner -short ribs, twice baked mock potato casserole, tomato & avocado salad

Tuesday:

breakfast – waffle hashbrowns w/sausage gravy, veggie juice

lunch – leftovers

dinner - bacon cheeseburger patty melts w/sauteed onions, mixed veggie salad

Wednesday:

breakfast – scrambled egg muffins, veggie juice

lunch – smoked sausage vegetable soup

dinner - spicy roast chicken, glazed carrots, salad

Thursday:

breakfast – eggs in ham cups, veggie juice

lunch – Caesar chicken salad using leftover chicken

dinner - BBQ beef roast, potato salad, steamed broccoli

Friday:

breakfast – veggie omelets, veggie juice

lunch – leftovers

dinner - broiled steaks, butternut squash, green beans

Saturday:

breakfast – veggie hash, poached eggs, veggie juice

lunch – paleo bread sandwiches – egg salad or ham

dinner - pizza salad

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Sunday Swiss steak, rice and corn

Monday Tostadas mandarine oranges

Tuesday brats with kraut, tater tots veggie to be decided

Wednesday  Chicken Cobb salad

Thursday Chili

Friday undecided.

Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Alfredo w/ chkn and broccoli

Pulled pork sandwiches and pasta salad

Chkn, rice, gravey, green beans

vegetarian chili 

nmaxwell816
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I didn't plan this wekk

BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Been thinking about trying beer chicken. How do you cook it?

Quoting ziff130:

M: Cheeseburger Wraps, Baked Beans, Cantaloupe

T: Chicken with Feta and Tomatoes, Couscous

W: Calido Corn and Bacon Pie, Boiled Beans and Red Potatoes

Th: Rosemary Pork Chops, Mashed Potatoes, Caramelized Carrots

F: Nacho Burgers and Green Salad

Sa Beer Chicken, Sugar Snaps, Roasted Fingerlings

Su: Turkey, Cheddar and Apple Sandwiches with Strawberries.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)