Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

need a new computer

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM
  • 39 Replies
Mine finally died. Error keeps popping up that an error was found on the hard drive. Absolutely the wrong time with taxes coming up, school and work now on hold. Ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I know this is a frugal group, but don't jsut run out and buy the cheapest one out there (this is with the assumption you know little about computers, so I apologize if it's wrong).

However, if the computer is mostly for homework, cafemom, and easy work stuff, you won't need a top of the line one either. 

I would check newegg.com or cheetahdeals.com and see if they have anything on sale (if you have access to a computer)

BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:09 PM

SO had to build a new computer cause it keeps dying on him too.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Right now it is just a hard drive issue, and out of warranty date. So I could buy a new laptop, would have to be a performance computer. Or I could buy a solid state drive, and Windows program. My business is designing templates and photo books for my memories. I plan on expanding that this year to becoming a designer. I purchased a bunch of customer use products that are on the hard drive. Along with all my blog and store items. I have a lot backed up already on a 3tb external hard drive.

I homeschool through k12 and have daily video classes on the computer. The kids computer the school issued us has been worthless for a couple months now. So we were using mine.

Quoting Idntreallycare:

I know this is a frugal group, but don't jsut run out and buy the cheapest one out there (this is with the assumption you know little about computers, so I apologize if it's wrong).

However, if the computer is mostly for homework, cafemom, and easy work stuff, you won't need a top of the line one either. 

I would check newegg.com or cheetahdeals.com and see if they have anything on sale (if you have access to a computer)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

SO bought the stuff to build our computer and he spent a lot but the old computer lasted long. 

Quoting Idntreallycare:

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Hubby built his computer, but all he does on his is surf the net and watch hulu. The kids and my computer are used for everything else. He doesn't seem interested in figuring it out either. :(

Quoting BeachLifeMama:

SO had to build a new computer cause it keeps dying on him too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nikaniko
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM

We bought a Mac Book Pro last year after research and comparing different brands. I know it's kind of expensive but we love it and don't regret it at all.

Bknotnobody
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Go MacBook! Seriously.
Even a refurbished one.
We just bought an 08 for 300 ish off a yardsale page. :-).
For my husbands personal use though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Mac has a lot of issues with the my memories software, or at least many with macs complain about issues. Since I work for my memories, I'm looking for something that will work with it.

Quoting Nikaniko:

We bought a Mac Book Pro last year after research and comparing different brands. I know it's kind of expensive but we love it and don't regret it at all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Buy a new hard drive...newegg is a good place to look.  They're easy to replace.  You'll have to reinstall your OS, then put your backed up data/programs back onto the hard drive

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Now my dh just fixed a computer for his brother.  Sometimes when errors come up. It's something very fixable. That's if the hard drive is not shot.  But then the repair shops charge way way to much.   Even for simple jobs.  I'm glad dh and our son are handy with computer repairs etc.   When mine goes down.  He can fix me up fast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)