Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

It's been a while since we've had one of these threads.  What frugal things did you do this past week?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
delightfullymom
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Ate leftovers and loaded up on goodies from couponing at Kroger's mega event.

lillucky8
by Jen on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this
No prob. I know my meat dept restocks onfriday so i know thurs is a good day to go get half priced meat

Quoting opal10161973:

I wish I had more time for that, but right now with FT classes, I felt lucky to be able to have the time and energy to stock up on the 55+ pounds of meat I bought the other day.  Thanks for the tip though.

Quoting lillucky8:

If you pay attention to their sellby dates and hit the store the day before u can get even more of a discount!

Quoting opal10161973:

Stocked up on food from BJ's.  The meat prices are always lower than other places, including Walmart and the quality if a lot better. 

Example: 

BJ's sells their 88/12 ground beef for $2.79/pound. 

Walmart sells their 73/27 ground beef for $3.18/pound.   

So, I paid less money for more actual meat and less fat content.  YAY!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachLifeMama
by Dawn on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Meal planning, use coupons, and stay home.

PinkCamoTeamMud
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Made homemade body wash for me and dh. Made homemade laundry soap. Made floor cleaner. And handsoap
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ALolies
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

We buy chicken beast in bulk. I like to wrap them individually before putting it in the freezer bag. I don't wanna pay the high price for those single baggies, so I use the old fashiond flip over sandwich bags. they are cheaper and work just the same.

mama2alex04
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Made pizza rolls vs ordering pizza, shopped at commissary not Safeway, used coupons.

GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM

It was a tight week because of car repairs, so we ate from our cupboard last week. We didn't go hungry and actually enjoyed some foods we haven't had in a while since I had to get creative.  I did purchase a big plastic box of spring mix and a couple other produce items like bananas, apples, cucumbers...and almond milk.

Its payday again...so....We did it!

MsBlueBelle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Pushed my lazy non working body into the kitchen and made something to eat from the freezer and the microwave, even though I am longing for some fast food.  I want a soda so bad, but I am drinking plain water, chilled in the fridge. 

I stuck up for my legal rights, made a few phone calls because I am in a rental car and I did not want to pay the $100 fee to detail the car because I go every place with my service dog.  He is not a pet, he is a working animal and he is cleaner and better behaved then some children I know.  Also, the van they gave me had candy wrappers and crushed crackers under the seats, the employee found them when he was trying to make the back seats fold into the floor.  The van also had bad brakes, I could hear metal on metal when I used the brakes.  No thanks.  I have a Ford Fusion??  It is a sedan, when my car is out of the shop, I will have them drive to my home to pick up the car and that will be that.  No dog in the Ford. 

I was able to stay off certain websites that I like to buy, buy, buy on...yeah.  I end up sending the stuff back, it is never how they describe it, I should learn, but G-d Bless the blonde hair.

anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I took the ads from other stores with me grocery shopping for the first time today.  Didn't save a ton, but it was something.  I also made a "cream of whatever" mix for a recipe that calls for cream of mushroom soup.  Cut out paper towels from our household in favor of reusable "paper towels" so I'll never have to buy those again.

MaskedMomma
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I sent SO out to aldis to buy produce.

I saved $165, I spent $185 though. On craft supplies. some for my group some for personal use.most of which I'll re-coup the cost for plus :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)