Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

we are just financially drowning and i have no clue where to start trying to save. how do i make my coupons worth it, how to stretch food, how to do ANYTHING that will help us save? we are a family of 7 i am a SAHM...i just recently started looking for work but i need help saving in a bad way....any and all advise would be greatly appreciated ! thank you

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
angel_peanut
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:37 AM

thank you everyone for the replies!! there asre a few things listed that i have started doing and some other great ideas that i am going to start doing. i really appreciate all the help

ziff130
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:45 AM

try mint.com for setting up you budget. For snacking --- bake biscuits and things like that. They are cheap to make but very filling. I bake something about every other day and leave it on the counter for the kids to snack on. I make biscuits, rolls, muffins, granola bars...etc. Things that are filling yet cheap.. :) Good luck!

angel_peanut
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM

i had to get a main dish for dinner today and some other things so i ventured to aldis. i got meat, drinks, snacks, some misc items and a pack of diapers for $20!!! so thank you so much for the suggestion...will definitly be shopping there more! 

Quoting rebeccadac:

Do you have a Save a Lot or Aldi's? Start there! I have noticed a HUGE change in the amount I spend on food! If I am careful I can get over 2 weeks of groceries for about $100 and we have a fam of 5.

Use an off brand or store brand when you can.

We often have meatless dinners, grilled cheese and soup, chili, tostadas etc

I make a lot of soups from scratch and dont use a lot of processed foods

make your own laundry soap and dish washer soap

Save popcan $$ for things like shampoo etc

save your change and roll it you will be amazed at what it can add up to

nmaxwell816
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM
I am right there with you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rebeccadac
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM

glad it worked out for you!!! Its sometimes like a game to see who much you can get for $20. I love it althoughsometimes you do have to go to anotherstore to get some things... watch produce carefully!

Quoting angel_peanut:

i had to get a main dish for dinner today and some other things so i ventured to aldis. i got meat, drinks, snacks, some misc items and a pack of diapers for $20!!! so thank you so much for the suggestion...will definitly be shopping there more! 

Quoting rebeccadac:

Do you have a Save a Lot or Aldi's? Start there! I have noticed a HUGE change in the amount I spend on food! If I am careful I can get over 2 weeks of groceries for about $100 and we have a fam of 5.

angel_peanut
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:50 PM

.some things i did notice i would have to go elsewhere....like the bananas didnt look so hot lol. and i have heard to becareful of the meat....my sistewr shops there alot just wont buy there meat

Quoting rebeccadac:

glad it worked out for you!!! Its sometimes like a game to see who much you can get for $20. I love it althoughsometimes you do have to go to anotherstore to get some things... watch produce carefully!

Quoting angel_peanut:

Quoting rebeccadac:

lnk8522
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM
i love Aldis for just about everything except meat.i don't know why it is, but it never comes out tasting right from there

Quoting angel_peanut:

.some things i did notice i would have to go elsewhere....like the bananas didnt look so hot lol. and i have heard to becareful of the meat....my sistewr shops there alot just wont buy there meat

Quoting rebeccadac:

Quoting angel_peanut:

Quoting rebeccadac:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsWhite101610
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Would you mind sharing your recipes for all those things? They sound good.

Quoting ziff130:

try mint.com for setting up you budget. For snacking --- bake biscuits and things like that. They are cheap to make but very filling. I bake something about every other day and leave it on the counter for the kids to snack on. I make biscuits, rolls, muffins, granola bars...etc. Things that are filling yet cheap.. :) Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ziff130
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Quoting ziff130:

Granola bars:

1/2 c honey

2/3 c br sugar

1/4 c peanut butter

1/4 c unsalted butter

4 c quick oats

2 c rice cereal

3 ysp vanilla

In a med saucepan combine honey, butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar. Bring to boiled over medium heat then bring temp to low and simmer until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, pour in vanilla and stir. 

Pour the hot mixture over cereal and oats in large bowl. Stir until all ingredients are moistened and press into parchment lined casserole dish. Pack tightly to about 1/2-3/4" thick. Allow to cool then cut. I store them in the fridge or they fall apart for me but some store it at room temp with no problems.

The recipe for the rolls I make is at http://pandlsmithfamily.blogspot.com/2013/01/lynnes-white-bread.html.   I am on the iPad so can't make it a linky. 

The muffins and biscuits are in my kitchen notebook and I am in the bed right now but I'll get those to you in the morning. :)

MrsWhite101610
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Thank you.

Quoting ziff130:

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

Quoting ziff130:

Granola bars:

1/2 c honey

2/3 c br sugar

1/4 c peanut butter

1/4 c unsalted butter

4 c quick oats

2 c rice cereal

3 ysp vanilla

In a med saucepan combine honey, butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar. Bring to boiled over medium heat then bring temp to low and simmer until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, pour in vanilla and stir. 

Pour the hot mixture over cereal and oats in large bowl. Stir until all ingredients are moistened and press into parchment lined casserole dish. Pack tightly to about 1/2-3/4" thick. Allow to cool then cut. I store them in the fridge or they fall apart for me but some store it at room temp with no problems.

The recipe for the rolls I make is at http://pandlsmithfamily.blogspot.com/2013/01/lynnes-white-bread.html.   I am on the iPad so can't make it a linky. 

The muffins and biscuits are in my kitchen notebook and I am in the bed right now but I'll get those to you in the morning. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN