Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Time to start pinching every penny even more.......

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 17 Replies

My oldest is going to need braces 

-____-

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cherishhope
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Shop around!

GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM

The dentist told me my oldest son needed braces too.  He had great teeth but one eyetooth didn't come in and the dentist advised me he might need braces to hold open the space.  When we visited the orthodontist,  he said our son might eventually need surgery to open the gum and bring down the tooth. He felt two different sets of braces would alleviate the need for surgery.

I refused to go that route.  My son's teeth never gave him any trouble and he had no cavities. WIthin  a year of the orthodontist visit, my son's tooth came in and he has never had a problem.  I'm not saying that everyone will have these results but sometimes you have to decide if your child really needs the braces or if that is just the track that the dentist lays out for most kids that come through his practice.

Both my daughters were advised to get braces too....and once again I said no.  And as you can see...they are just gorgeous and have beautiful smiles without any problems!

Maybe you could get a second opinion?

If you think the braces are really needed, then try to bargain for a good deal!  Sometimes, orthodontists will offer a cash discount!

~FRUGALISTAS MOD~

Jess8685
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Don't get braces!!!!!!! Take it from someone who had them... My teeth were fine until I got them to straighten a few bottom teeth, and they were perfect for the first 2 yrs after they were taken off... After that the teeth that had the braces on them have broken/chipped ect I have the worst teeth now and I believe it's because of the braces...
Have you looked into invisaline(sp)?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moki75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:46 PM

he desperately needs them.  he is autistic and sucked his thumb till he was 8.  He has spongebob teeth.  even when he closes his mouth his two top teeth are still visable.  

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM
My daughter needs braces. Our insurance will cover $1200. We can pay up front or finance the rest. Plus, she needs 4 teeth pulled - severe overcrowding. We have to pay for the teeth to be pulled because it's considered cosmetic. We will save as much as possible but we're scheduled for March.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsBlueBelle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I wore braces three different times over eight years.  Ugh.  I had my mouth wired shut for six weeks while the bones in my face healed.  My children had braces, not really sure if they needed them, they never had any cavities, and they got their dad's teeth, not mine. 

I worked it out with dang exh that if he paid for their braces, he could claim them on his taxes for the years they wore the braces.  So, four years out of the 20 odd years of our post divorce agreement, he carried them on his taxes, not mine.  Show my dang exh a buck, he will always jump on it.

Sneeky way, but it worked.  I then had my children fitted with contact lenses because puberty, braces AND glasses?  I felt it was just unfair. 

MsBlueBelle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My son had an adult tooth that was stuck in the roof of his mouth.  That was the only issue he had.  This may sound difficult, but dental schools need patients to practice on.  Are there any major universities in your area?

Quoting GrandmaSherry:

The dentist told me my oldest son needed braces too.  He had great teeth but one eyetooth didn't come in and the dentist advised me he might need braces to hold open the space.  When we visited the orthodontist,  he said our son might eventually need surgery to open the gum and bring down the tooth. He felt two different sets of braces would alleviate the need for surgery.

I refused to go that route.  My son's teeth never gave him any trouble and he had no cavities. WIthin  a year of the orthodontist visit, my son's tooth came in and he has never had a problem.  I'm not saying that everyone will have these results but sometimes you have to decide if your child really needs the braces or if that is just the track that the dentist lays out for most kids that come through his practice.

Both my daughters were advised to get braces too....and once again I said no.  And as you can see...they are just gorgeous and have beautiful smiles without any problems!

Maybe you could get a second opinion?

If you think the braces are really needed, then try to bargain for a good deal!  Sometimes, orthodontists will offer a cash discount!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Have you gotten a quote from an orthodontist yet?  My then-8-yr old needed braces, but only for a very short time and only on one jaw.  The cost for his braces was $4000 less than the braces that my 2nd oldest DS needed.  We were easily able to finance the cost through the orthodontist (interest free.)

Rain2Rinse
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM
I just recently got braces, it really isn't bad price wise
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Sell the kid! :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)