Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Freecycle......UPDATE IN RED!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM
  • 20 Replies

I am happy to say that a message did get posted, the absolutely perfect style per the group mod'sspecifications.  I sent the lucky person who is going to come and pick up a girls student desk, dresser and the book case that goes over the desk.  It needs a little TLC, some cleaning and maybe a paint job, but this was my furniture when I was a teenager and my dd no longer wanted it.  The new owner came over today and was just thrilled with it, and did not mind that it needed a clean up and perhaps a touch of paint, but she was happy with this furniture, since it is real wood, not particle board.

The UPSIDE of picking the person who I did who I picked to get the furniture;  she was the first to get in and ask for it, I also found out she lives in the neighborhood in her first home that she bought on her own.  I know the family who used to live in the house, and they assure me she is just who she says she it.  She works 6 days a week as a nurse caregiver, she is my age, she is single with grown children, she also loves to read.  She said she doesn't have much, and I have all of my stuff, the stuff my children left behind and no longer want, plus I still have boxes left to clear from my late Mother's property and my late Sister's property.  At the time of their deaths, my late father packed up everything they owned and had it stored.  A few days after he died, two Mayflower moving trucks, the big kind, one had all of my Mom's things, the other had all of my sister's things in it.  So, my tiny 1,100 sq ft home looks like it would be ready for the show hoarders, buried alive.  Everything I have set aside in one room to get rid of, she said she would be willing to barter her housekeeping skills and her bf would help me with a couple of honey do's in exchange for things she needs. 

I did check her out with the former owners, I go to church with them and they have confirmed she does need a lot.  So, if I can get rid of 2/3 rds of this stuff, then I will be better able to manage on my own.  Thanks for listening.

fingers crossed

I have a lot of stuff to get rid of and the Freecycle moderator is very touchy about using the words, please and thank you.  I use them, but I can only enter one item per week, she edits it down to nothing.  How can I get rid of a lot of stuff?  I don't mind Goodwill or another charity, but they don't pick it up.  There are many things just too big for me to move.  They all need good homes, I cannot see just putting them on the side of the road.

Help?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Craigslist.  ALOT of people check it now and will take things especially if they are free.

MsBlueBelle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Is Craigslist safe?

jamiegraham
by Jamie on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Salvation Army picks stuff up

MsBlueBelle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Me thinks she is still mad because she had to leave her cushy life in California and move back to her other house.....we are neighbors.....who don't get along.

You've been a member for awhile now...

Please use Freecycle subject line protocol, i.e. "OFFER: Furniture - Perry Hill Area." You can expound in the body of the message.

It is not necessary to re offer the same item over and over. If you've posted an OFFER it remains on the group page, forever. You may re post once per week but please no more.

If you want to know whether or not an item is still available you can look on the group page where ALL messages are listed. You can search by day and even by OFFERer. It's very simple.

When responding to an OFFER do not reply to the group. Respond only to the OFFERer.

Freecyclewas designed as a way to get rid of unwanted things and pass them on. Freecycle was not designed as a way to furnish your home. The purpose of Freecycle is to keep good "stuff" out of land fills, not a means to "get things." Receiving things is a wonderful by-product of Freecycle. Although you may request an item now and again, constantly asking for things is not a function of Freecycle.

Be nice. NEVER respond to an offer with, "I'll take it. Give me your address." If you want something it's best to ASK nicely. No one is obligated to give you anything.

Lastly, if you have questions, ask. That's what we're here for.

Freecycle Admin

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

You should be able to get all of the basic info without opening the message. Action is required, "OFFER."

> Girls student desk, dresser and bookcase. Light yellow, needs some TLC because it was in storage. I live off of Perry Hill Road area. (sorry mod, I forgot)

See, I posted it first, without my general location, then forgot, and redid the post.  This is not the Attorney General's office, it is freecycle.  Am I the only one with problem? 

shrugging

MsBlueBelle
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM

This made it to post....I give up. 

Black plastic cover, clear plastic sleeves
- about10" high, 3" wide, 1/2" thick
- four cards high, twelve pages
- total 48 cards, one-sided, or 96 cards back to back

Ok, ok, it only LOOKS like plastic. It's really black velvety leather with simulated plastic grain. This wallet was left at the Hotel California after the desperado checked out but didn't leave. Seems there was a witchy woman caught his eye while he was standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona, and one of these nights she promised him to take it easy. Turns out she had lyin' eyes and left him alone in the fast lane.

Fortunately for him there was one card left inside, had one phone number, 867-XXXX. He thought it was Jenny he would turn to but she was already leavin' on a jet plane. So now he's stuck with the bill.

kiske
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're on Facebook check for groups in your area.  I know there are a *ton* of yard sale and garage sale boards for my town.  Almost more than people in the town it seems like.  They all allow free stuff to be listed too.  Also, we have a "Play it forward" specifically for free stuff.  Maybe search for that or pay it forward boards.

Rain2Rinse
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM
She sounds nuts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Id do craigslist or call salvation army or goodwill or the epilepsy foundation to come pick it all up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmp
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Our Freecycle moderators are super nice, its one or 2 people that post that are weird. LOL

I will tell  you though that sometimes the freecyclers do not want to drive very far. When that happens and I have stuff I post it on Craigslist and someone always comes and picks it up from my driveway. I have received notes from some people saying thank you because they are single mothers or they just lost their job. Some people are so thankful and others do not even say thank you.

nmaxwell816
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Fb garagesale pages in your area

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)