Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Freecycle......UPDATE IN RED!

Posted by   + Show Post

I am happy to say that a message did get posted, the absolutely perfect style per the group mod'sspecifications.  I sent the lucky person who is going to come and pick up a girls student desk, dresser and the book case that goes over the desk.  It needs a little TLC, some cleaning and maybe a paint job, but this was my furniture when I was a teenager and my dd no longer wanted it.  The new owner came over today and was just thrilled with it, and did not mind that it needed a clean up and perhaps a touch of paint, but she was happy with this furniture, since it is real wood, not particle board.

The UPSIDE of picking the person who I did who I picked to get the furniture;  she was the first to get in and ask for it, I also found out she lives in the neighborhood in her first home that she bought on her own.  I know the family who used to live in the house, and they assure me she is just who she says she it.  She works 6 days a week as a nurse caregiver, she is my age, she is single with grown children, she also loves to read.  She said she doesn't have much, and I have all of my stuff, the stuff my children left behind and no longer want, plus I still have boxes left to clear from my late Mother's property and my late Sister's property.  At the time of their deaths, my late father packed up everything they owned and had it stored.  A few days after he died, two Mayflower moving trucks, the big kind, one had all of my Mom's things, the other had all of my sister's things in it.  So, my tiny 1,100 sq ft home looks like it would be ready for the show hoarders, buried alive.  Everything I have set aside in one room to get rid of, she said she would be willing to barter her housekeeping skills and her bf would help me with a couple of honey do's in exchange for things she needs. 

I did check her out with the former owners, I go to church with them and they have confirmed she does need a lot.  So, if I can get rid of 2/3 rds of this stuff, then I will be better able to manage on my own.  Thanks for listening.

fingers crossed

I have a lot of stuff to get rid of and the Freecycle moderator is very touchy about using the words, please and thank you.  I use them, but I can only enter one item per week, she edits it down to nothing.  How can I get rid of a lot of stuff?  I don't mind Goodwill or another charity, but they don't pick it up.  There are many things just too big for me to move.  They all need good homes, I cannot see just putting them on the side of the road.

Help?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:22 PM

We have a Christian Ministries in our town (like a Goodwill, really) and they will come and get your items for you.  They have many volunteers that will coordinate pick up....and the proceeds from the sale of your items will help feed the community.  They will also help people to meet their utilities bill in winter or rent if they are short one time.  They do a great work and without people donating, they wouldn't be able to do so.

Maybe you could seek out something like this in your area....

lnk8522
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:41 AM
wow, I've never had problems like that with our freecycle. if try the free section of craigslist, or goodwill, our maybe s local thrift shop
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried the Salvation Army.  I think they pick up.  If Freecycle says one item per week.  How about Craigslist.  I think you can post freebies on there. 

momrocks2000
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Put the items on the side of the road !  I live in a upper middle class neighborhood (sorta rural), and people take things of mine all the time.  I put an AD in Cragislist (name of city/town), and state what i'm putting out for the day.  I've had 30 plus cars come and get all of it ****including my FREE sign & the boxes*** !  Sometimes I just skip Freecycle; especially when the moderator whats to be picky on what WORDS you are using.  I say as long as your not cussing, you're doing good ! :) .  Use Craigslist...no Moderator to tell you what to say. "thank you"... oh come on now, your giving things away !  keep the politeness for tea & crumpets !  On Craigslist, I ask people not to knock on my door, most people follow my request.   Post in Craigslist under FREEBIES ;  i put a note up stating 'curb alert': then list the stuff your are giving away.  Tell people you won't hold stuff and your address (if you comfortable with that) or you can pick n choose who you offer your address away...i just dont have time to have many conversation with freebie finders, so i just list my address (no name) and tell them come n get it.

EmmasMommy2011
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Facebook...mine has a freebies group

scorpiobabes
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I used to be a moderator of several groups; I encouraged Thank You posts (sent either to the group or privately) because it shows good manners. But I deleted Please posts if they just wanted something without posting an Offer first. Just to balance it out. I miss Freecycle-the local group here wasn't well run (I waited a year to be approved before I gave up), and stayed with the chat group.

Have you ever considered doing a free-for-all? It's like a yard sale, except that everything is free. One of my co-mods had one that was quite successful (though she still had a ton of stuff to get rid of). Sometimes the moderator(s) organize it, or just members. Suggest it to the moderator and see if she has one planned, or you can ask if you can post about yours.

rmp
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I really like that curb alert and free for all . Thanks for the suggestion!

NocturnesAngel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Have you tried your local Newspaper's Free Section? Most Newspapers will run it in the Print Paper & Online for 1 or 2 runs and then you have to re-submit if you want them to post it again. 

Also, do you have any, Free Ads that come out on the weekends? If so, maybe try posting in there.

How about Homeless Shelters, Women's Shelters, Places that help Single or Teen Mothers, Boys & Girls Clubs, The Blind Assoc., Area Agency on Aging, you local Pet/Animal Shelter?

matreshka
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Call 800-SA-TRUCK, the salvation army will pick it up for you.

Missy5326
by New Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Big brother big sister picks up here and they take everything except stuff for infants. Or call your local veterans association they might know. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)