Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

My son's field trip = $36

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM
  • 23 Replies
Isn't that crazy? To go whale watching, the chances they will see a whale are slim to none lol. No lunches provided in the fee.

He will go but I will moan
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alieda
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Crazy ,let's hope they see a whale
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM
That seems like a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steph1499
by New Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM

But Im sure he will have so much fun and it will be a great memory.  Lets hope he sees a whale too.  

decembercherish
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM

wow i complain about the 5 dollars here and there and of course we pack lunches for the kids. Both my kids field trips got canceled due to weather this year. My oldest will be going right before Valentines Day ( weather permitting) but i am glad they called it off. The road they take was backed up due to accidents from snow and ice. The other one will have her field trip in April, then anther one in May.But 36 and does not include lunch OUCH.

GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

When our twin girls were in kindergarten, the teachers planned a train trip for them that was over $50 per child.  This was in 1996! Out of principle, I refused to participate.  I thought the experience could be had for a cheaper price...and not only that, but the trip included a 3 hour bus ride followed by a 3 hour train ride and then the 3 hour ride home by bus.  Your child/children had to ride on the school's bus during the trip. 

I was the only parent that protested, apparently.  The teacher contacted me and said that several of the children could not afford to go and the teachers were pulling in some donations from other parents and teachers to help them.  She wanted to know if I needed financial help, especially since I had 2 students to pay for.  I said, "No thanks....I think I can do a family trip with all of our children, lunch and travel for the price of 1 train ticket."

I took the girls aside and explained the dilemma to them.  I explained frugality the best I could...and how we could choose to get the very most out of our money by doing something together as a family that included all 4 children, both parents, and lots of fun!  They agreed.

I worried they might regret our choice...but it poured rain and was freezing cold the day of the school's train trip. We later learned that the train leaked rain onto the students and parents all day. They didn't arrive home until after dark and decided to NEVER do that trip again.

We drove up to the mountains and visited the homeplace of Thomas Wolfe. The weather there was clear and chilly.  After that, we went to the science museum and the hands-on health museum.  We learned alot about the stars and the solar system, as well as space travel.  We learned about bones, muscles, and the importance of physical exercise.  We finished up by eating out and letting each person tell what they loved the most about our day.

When they went back to school, they were the only 2 kids that remembered anything significant about their field trip. I guess it goes to show that it sometimes pays to think outside the box....and be willing to be different.

~FRUGALISTAS MOD~

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:23 AM
That's a lot. My girls haven't had a field trip more than $15
spcmom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Wow!!!! Apparently the teacher thinks everyone can afford that. I'd be voicing my opinion for sure.
godsgirl26
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Wow, that is crazy. When my kids went to public school all of their field trips were free. But since they are in Christian school i have to pay for their field trips.

a_and_j_momma
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Wow. That is crazy. I am glad you stood your ground and taught the girls. Glad they got rid of that trip too

Quoting GrandmaSherry:

When our twin girls were in kindergarten, the teachers planned a train trip for them that was over $50 per child.  This was in 1996! Out of principle, I refused to participate.  I thought the experience could be had for a cheaper price...and not only that, but the trip included a 3 hour bus ride followed by a 3 hour train ride and then the 3 hour ride home by bus.  Your child/children had to ride on the school's bus during the trip. 

I was the only parent that protested, apparently.  The teacher contacted me and said that several of the children could not afford to go and the teachers were pulling in some donations from other parents and teachers to help them.  She wanted to know if I needed financial help, especially since I had 2 students to pay for.  I said, "No thanks....I think I can do a family trip with all of our children, lunch and travel for the price of 1 train ticket."

I took the girls aside and explained the dilemma to them.  I explained frugality the best I could...and how we could choose to get the very most out of our money by doing something together as a family that included all 4 children, both parents, and lots of fun!  They agreed.

I worried they might regret our choice...but it poured rain and was freezing cold the day of the school's train trip. We later learned that the train leaked rain onto the students and parents all day. They didn't arrive home until after dark and decided to NEVER do that trip again.

We drove up to the mountains and visited the homeplace of Thomas Wolfe. The weather there was clear and chilly.  After that, we went to the science museum and the hands-on health museum.  We learned alot about the stars and the solar system, as well as space travel.  We learned about bones, muscles, and the importance of physical exercise.  We finished up by eating out and letting each person tell what they loved the most about our day.

When they went back to school, they were the only 2 kids that remembered anything significant about their field trip. I guess it goes to show that it sometimes pays to think outside the box....and be willing to be different.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:07 AM

....makes me glad I homeschool!  I can take all three kids on a field trip for less than that...not that it'll be whale watching, but we can have some good fun at MANY places in the area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)