Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

GLASS VS. PLASTIC

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:53 AM
  • 14 Replies

Does anyone here use only glass dishes in their kitchens?  I have read that it is safer to use glass for food storage and that its also best to use glass as opposed to plastic for food prep in the microwave.

Glass seems a bit more cumbersome but I tried for a long time to only use glass....and I love the fact that it washes up so well...no "impossible to remove" stains. But my daughter got two large Rubbermaid storage sets for her wedding shower and she ended up giving one set to me.  I have used one or two of the storage bowls...but I can't decide if I like it.

What do you do?

~FRUGALISTAS MOD~

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NocturnesAngel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:11 AM

If it's BPA Free I use them. Especially Rubbermaid.

I also found out that Tupperware is now 100% BPA Free, only because I called their 1-800 Number since there was an item that I wanted to buy on sale and couldn't find anything about it being BPA Free in the Sale catalog.

ziff130
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:52 AM

BPA free plastic mostly. Glass is heavy and takes up too much space, harder to stack the leftovers in the fridge...etc. I do use jars a lot though.

jody230
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I use the BPA free plastic for freezer storage. I don't reheat in the microwave with it.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I use plastic for food storage, for meal prep, and to freeze foods.

I use glass for microwave cooking unless I've got microwave-specific dishes (muffin pan, roasting tray, bacon tray, etc.)  I also use glass jars to store some things in the fridge or freezer or pantry...depending on how convenient it is for me to do so.

I have kids, a granddaughter, and a klutz of a DH.  Plastic has it's practical uses that are safe.  I will not sacrifice food nor dishes by using only glass in the kitchen. 

supermillerMom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I try to avoid plastic as much as possible and I don't microwave in plastic. I check thrift stores and yard sales for pyrex or ask for them for birthdays/christmas. I'm slowly replacing my whole storage supply.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kimscorner
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Although glass is heavier and plastic seems easier, I do prefer glass.  Although, I have more plastic than glass.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Aamy
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Both.
Gorilla_Mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:35 PM
We have both. I prefer glass but we have a very unforgiving tile floor and have broken soooo many glass dishes that I started replacing them with plastic
nmaxwell816
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:14 PM
We have a mixture
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I don't use a lot of glass because of my coordination issues.  I've broken so many glass dishes over the years.  The only baking dish I use that is glass is one that has good handles on it.  The rest of my bakeware is metal.  I also have a couple glass mixing bowls.  For storage, I have a lot of Tupperware and Gladware.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN