Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Frugal HELP!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM
  • 29 Replies
Ok so I need some frugal tips. What are some big money Savers in your household?
My biggest problem is food (300/month) I'm over by 5$ already and still have about 2 weeks to go. (I don't eat boxed meals..etc).. He is a cook everyday meat and potatoes guy.. Doesn't really like one dish meals or frozen veggies. (He cooks most of the time)
I've cut back on cleaning supplies by using baking soda and vinegar.. And washing soda. I don't like the vinegar as glass cleaner tho.. Any other options are helpful! My laundry detergent only costs 3$ and last for 2-3 months, I use a laundry mat.. ((EXPENSIVE!))
ANY suggestions??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Jen on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Buy in bulk, stock up on sales, coupons, for meat go to the store the day before the sell by date and get discounted meats.

Each week i get fresh produce and sale items, i also try to combine the sales with my coupons for extra savings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Check local farms for sales also, like my local farm has 50lb bags of potatoes for $10 right now, and fresh eggs two dozen for $5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaNeeNee
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:37 AM
How do I go about finding these places..

Quoting lillucky8:

Check local farms for sales also, like my local farm has 50lb bags of potatoes for $10 right now, and fresh eggs two dozen for $5.
GrandmaSherry
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Utilities is an area that gets to us in our budget....I'm trying to remember to cut off lights, turn down the thermostat and be mindful of daily long showers.

As for food, its a tough area too. I shop at Aldi and try to use everything until its gone.  If we have a small bowl of vegetarian chili left over after dinner, I used to toss it.  Now I work it into a lunch by baking potatoes and using the chili on them.

lillucky8
by Jen on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Id google search farms in your areas. Or i think pickyourown.org is a great reference.

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

How do I go about finding these places..

Quoting lillucky8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermillerMom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Do you have a friend with a washer/dryer who might let you do laundry at their house in exchange for childcare, yard work, running errands, etc.?  I would also look into getting a chest freezer and buying your meat in bulk.  Find out what day of the week your grocer marks down their meat (Ours seems to be Fridays) and we stock up on those days.  I've never done this but I have friends who buy whole sides of beef and split the cost.  The butcher will divide it for you however you like.  But I don't know much about the cost, where to buy them, etc.  

TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I worked at a grocery store. When the butcher came in every morning he went through the dates and marked down the ones that expire that day. 30% off.

Consider a garden.

Put a timer on your water heater. Turn it off before everyone goes to bed. Turn it on right before everyone gets home from school/work. Turn down the temp.

Use room fans instead of air/heat. Dress in sweats in the winter, shorts in the summer.

I found a cookbook that had once a week and once a month cooking menus. It gives you grocery list, order to cook things, how to divide them into freezer containers, what type of sides to put with them. If you cook a bunch at one time, not only are you making meals more conveinent by cooking all the foods pretty much at one time, you save energy use.

If you have more than one utility company in your area, shop around.

Get new quotes on vehicle insurance.

Perhaps buy a used washer? I use a clothes line instead of a dryer.

Shop around for cheaper cell phones. My friend pays $85 a month. I pay $30.

Honestly evaluate needs vs. wants.

MamaNeeNee
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Utilities gets me too. But idk what to do about that bc I already keep the thermostat low. So I'm I'm in the same boat there. I have curtains that keep that cold air from coming thru..
I work at Aldi, so I get 95% of my food there. I usually don't get meat there tho, bc I use bother store that does a "family pack" for like 25$

Quoting GrandmaSherry:

Utilities is an area that gets to us in our budget....I'm trying to remember to cut off lights, turn down the thermostat and be mindful of daily long showers.

As for food, its a tough area too. I shop at Aldi and try to use everything until its gone.  If we have a small bowl of vegetarian chili left over after dinner, I used to toss it.  Now I work it into a lunch by baking potatoes and using the chili on them.

MamaNeeNee
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM
I usually ONLY buy mark down meat, or a family pack.. As far as the washer thing goes.. Not so much. They all live at least 1/2 an hour away. And it costs about the same to go to the laundry mat than to pay for gas to get to their houses...

Quoting supermillerMom:

Do you have a friend with a washer/dryer who might let you do laundry at their house in exchange for childcare, yard work, running errands, etc.?  I would also look into getting a chest freezer and buying your meat in bulk.  Find out what day of the week your grocer marks down their meat (Ours seems to be Fridays) and we stock up on those days.  I've never done this but I have friends who buy whole sides of beef and split the cost.  The butcher will divide it for you however you like.  But I don't know much about the cost, where to buy them, etc.  

MamaNeeNee
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this
You have some really great ideas! I work for a grocery store myself, and I don't buy meats unless they are markdowns of they are part of a family plan.
I tried a garden last year (spent like $100+) and nothing grew. Well my tomato plant grew but didn't produce any tomatoes. My apartment is DARK inside and out. Only one window gets a little sun in during the day.. Everything died. But I am going to help a friend with her garden this year in exchange for the produce!
I live in a apartment, and my water heater is in the wall somewhere????
I would LOVE to get ahold of that cookbook!!
No options on utilities.. And my apartment doesn't have a washer hook up. I wonder if I could buy one that hooks up to the sink..
I have a small patio.. Do you think a clothes line would work between priavacy fence that's maybe 7-8 feet apart?
My cell phone is free.. Or between 5-20$ if I run out of minutes

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

I worked at a grocery store. When the butcher came in every morning he went through the dates and marked down the ones that expire that day. 30% off.

Consider a garden.

Put a timer on your water heater. Turn it off before everyone goes to bed. Turn it on right before everyone gets home from school/work. Turn down the temp.

Use room fans instead of air/heat. Dress in sweats in the winter, shorts in the summer.

I found a cookbook that had once a week and once a month cooking menus. It gives you grocery list, order to cook things, how to divide them into freezer containers, what type of sides to put with them. If you cook a bunch at one time, not only are you making meals more conveinent by cooking all the foods pretty much at one time, you save energy use.

If you have more than one utility company in your area, shop around.

Get new quotes on vehicle insurance.

Perhaps buy a used washer? I use a clothes line instead of a dryer.

Shop around for cheaper cell phones. My friend pays $85 a month. I pay $30.

Honestly evaluate needs vs. wants.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN