Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas
Ok so I need some frugal tips. What are some big money Savers in your household?
My biggest problem is food (300/month) I'm over by 5$ already and still have about 2 weeks to go. (I don't eat boxed meals..etc).. He is a cook everyday meat and potatoes guy.. Doesn't really like one dish meals or frozen veggies. (He cooks most of the time)
I've cut back on cleaning supplies by using baking soda and vinegar.. And washing soda. I don't like the vinegar as glass cleaner tho.. Any other options are helpful! My laundry detergent only costs 3$ and last for 2-3 months, I use a laundry mat.. ((EXPENSIVE!))
ANY suggestions??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Replies (21-29):
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I shop the sales and many times buy in bulk.

WandaSue
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM

BUMP!

WandaSue
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:09 AM

great ideas ladies! i might have to start doing a few more of them myself

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I would definitely look into getting a used washer and dryer.  Laundromats are soo expensive.  It sounds like you are doing everything else you can.  Your DH wouldn't do a meatless meal, like chili or something like that once a week?

spcmom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM
I was without a dyer for over a year. I hung all my clothes to dry. In the winter (it snows here) i hung clothes up on the shower rod to dry. Pain in the ass.... Yes! Inconvenient......Yes! But it worked !!! Good luck
MamaNeeNee
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Quoting heathercm26:

Cut old clothes into rags so u dont have to buy paper towels.
*^^ great idea!!!
Use your towels a few times before washing em.
*doing this.

Move to a cheaper place
*done

Dont eat out.
*we don't.

Make a list when u go to the store. Dont buy any snacks. Dont buy any pop. Change brands of products.
*kiddos need snacks.. But I only by healthy, apples, carrots, maybe some pretzels and cheese..

Dont get magazine subscriptions. Cut back on driving.
*don't have any and I only go to work and stores..

Make your own febreeze if you use it.........
*already do :)

Quoting heathercm26:

Cut old clothes into rags so u dont have to buy paper towels.

Use your towels a few times before washing em.

Move to a cheaper place

Dont eat out.

Make a list when u go to the store. Dont buy any snacks. Dont buy any pop. Change brands of products.

Dont get magazine subscriptions. Cut back on driving.

Make your own febreeze if you use it.........
MamaNeeNee
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Only take kids to do free things, unless its their bday.
Don't have cable or Netflix
Can't grow anything, tried last year and we just don't get enough light.. Really sucks.. ((Unless of course there are veggies out there that don't need a ton of light))
Nothing to sell.. We moved about 2 years ago and I got rid of EVERYTHING

Quoting heathercm26:

Take your kids to the library, park, on wals etc rather than taking them to more expensive things.

Get rid of cable and get netflix

Grow a few things

Have a garage sale
MamaNeeNee
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:45 PM
** I have a HUGE prob with meal planning. Before we had #2 I was super good at it.. Now that we are in a new location.. It's seems like I have no idea where to even start.. Plus he cooks most often.. I'd love ideas & tips if you've got them!! :)

I JUST started cooking from scratch.. No more pancake mixes / Biscuit / cookies etc..

Quoting chrissysnow22:

Meal planning saves a ton.

Portion control helps out a lot also. Sometimes you don't notice you are already full because we are taught to finish our plate.

Cooking from scratch requires an initial investment but pays off in the long run.

Maybe you could line dry done things. If you don't have space for a clothesline you could get one of those freestanding ones from Walmart or something.

Plan your trips so that you are not wasting gas.

See if you can find a grocery store that discounts bruised or overripe produce.
chrissysnow22
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I understand. I do a weekly meal post here in the group. I always get inspiration from all the other ladies. Supercook.com is a great site for ideas utilizing what you already have in your kitchen.
Oh there is a meal planning group on here also.

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

** I have a HUGE prob with meal planning. Before we had #2 I was super good at it.. Now that we are in a new location.. It's seems like I have no idea where to even start.. Plus he cooks most often.. I'd love ideas & tips if you've got them!! :)

I JUST started cooking from scratch.. No more pancake mixes / Biscuit / cookies etc..

Quoting chrissysnow22:

Meal planning saves a ton.

Portion control helps out a lot also. Sometimes you don't notice you are already full because we are taught to finish our plate.

Cooking from scratch requires an initial investment but pays off in the long run.

Maybe you could line dry done things. If you don't have space for a clothesline you could get one of those freestanding ones from Walmart or something.

Plan your trips so that you are not wasting gas.

See if you can find a grocery store that discounts bruised or overripe produce.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN