Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Food Banks/Food Pantry

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 33 Replies

This week and possibly next, it looks like our food budget money is going to pay some bills since my husband started a new job and he won't get his first paycheck for 3 weeks.  

I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of food does one get from a food bank/food pantry?  I'm not being picky, I was just wondering how creative I am going to have to be!

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellaamore
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM

No meats. Some canned goods, maybe produce or milk if you are one of the first to show up. By afternoon, all that is left is shelf stable products,

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Depending on the pantry, you may get some frozen meats.  You'll probably get canned goods, boxed goods, dry milk or shelf stable milk, cereal and/or oatmeal, maybe some cookies and crackers

anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Good to know to get there early.  I would not have thought there would be milk there at all.

Quoting bellaamore:

No meats. Some canned goods, maybe produce or milk if you are one of the first to show up. By afternoon, all that is left is shelf stable products,

bellaamore
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Quoting anotherandree:

Good to know to get there early.  I would not have thought there would be milk there at all.

Quoting bellaamore:

SometImes local farms and stores donate tngs like that, and meat if there is any if it isnt sold after markdown or if they just have extra when the fresh is ready that isnt used or sold.

More people than you know use the food banks, so definitely get theere first thing in the morning or youll end up with canned chocolate sauce and green beans, maybe a box of stale crackeers lol

KRIZZ25
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:40 PM
SOME CHURCHES CAN HELP.. CALL AROUND .CALL UR LOCAL SOCIAL SERVICES OR HEATH DEPARTMENT.
lyrick24
by Melissa on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM

when i have gotten mine they gave me chicken and pork chops and ham. vegetables, bread and soups.

Gorilla_Mama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM
It depends on the pantry. The one we used a few times gave you a frozen meat of some sort. A choice of veggies. Cereal shelf stable milk bread, then you'd get a choice between things like rice or noodles apple sauce or canned pears, a choice of juice, mustard or mayo, and they always tried to include a dessert. They were really super awesome and we plan on donating to them out of our garden this summer as long as our financial situation is better and we can afford to put a little less up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Terpsichore
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Our local one allows two frozen meats per family per month. I know they stock canned veggies, travel-size toiletries, dry macaroni, beans, some canned soups, baby diapers, and sometimes fresh bread/baked goods or produce from local farms.

nmaxwell816
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Not sure
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Our local food pantry has alot of canned goods- tuna,soups,beans,veggies, ect. bread, canned milk, crackers, cereal, juice. Almost anything that doesn't need a fridge. The food pantry also offers a hot meal everyday. My church also does food services and they give out produce, bread, and frozen meat. The church offers a hot meal 3x per week. There is another church here that will give needy families a $50 supermarket giftcard. So check out local churches also. And ALWAYS GET THERE EARLY!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)