Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I REALLY FEEL THE NEED TO SOUND OFF ABOUT RISING FOOD PRICES!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 88 Replies

Gee whiz....what is happening to our food supply?!  Groceries are going sky high where we live.  Every time I walk into the store, individual items have crept up 10-50 cents per item.

One little bag of Fuji apples is $4.97! We drink almond milk and its price is $2.88 for 2 quarts.  Its getting harder and harder to stretch the dollars...

What are the prices like where you live?

~FRUGALISTAS MOD~

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nailz98
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

That's how our prices are too. I stopped setting a grocery budget. I could never stay at or below it. I just by what I need, use coupons when I can or generics.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:09 AM

The drought last year and the latest weather in crop-producing states have been harbingers of this increase.  We saw it coming last summer, when chicken feed jumped $2 a week for 50 lb. bag, and livestock feed prices more than doubled.  The effect trickles down.  Consumers will (and are) eventually feel it.

eesmommy
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Good lord woman! How do you keep all this stuff in your head! Lol you need a hobby.....

Quoting michiganmom116:

The drought last year and the latest weather in crop-producing states have been harbingers of this increase.  We saw it coming last summer, when chicken feed jumped $2 a week for 50 lb. bag, and livestock feed prices more than doubled.  The effect trickles down.  Consumers will (and are) eventually feel it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:23 AM

It has really gone up here too.  I don't notice it so much on the individual items, but I sure do at checkout.  I used to get out of the store on a typical trip for $85-$100.  Now I can't get out for less than $130, and we've even stopped buying things like soda and chips.  I refuse to pay close to $4 for ground beef, so we don't buy that anymore unless it's on sale.

JohnnyCakes
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM

It's the same here, I noticed it little by little but didn't think it would add up quite that much - my January grocery  total is $100ish dollars more than normal and that was with scoring great deals on meat! :/

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM
3 moms liked this

Goodness!  I cross stitch, knit, crochet, quilt, keep a blog, train horses, have a 2000 sq ft. garden in the summer, and I homeschool...I don't need another hobby!  LOL

I'm a "hobby farmer."  We raise chickens every summer and I know what feed costs.  We live in the middle of an ag area -- I know what hay and grain costs, too.

Quoting eesmommy:

Good lord woman! How do you keep all this stuff in your head! Lol you need a hobby.....

Quoting michiganmom116:

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Its crazy! A gallon of milk used to be $1.97 a year ago. Now its $2.98. An 18 pack of eggs was $1.98 and it's gone up by $1. I no longer have it in our budget to buy separate lunch items very often. Things like lunch meat and canned soup are rare here. Its left overs or egg salads/tuna.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Cow milk i $4-5/gal here which it has been for awhile. I'm not sure what will be affected beyond produce that is already outrageous for crap quality. Our normal prices on everything is probably double what most of you are used to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Burke11
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I really haven't payed attention. I just go for which brand is cheaper. I only buy ground turkey and boneless skinless chicken so those 2 things tend to be a little more expensive.

eesmommy
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:22 PM
You have way too much energy! Share some! Lol

Here's a question for ya...
I want to get peeps... for the kids cuz my grandma got them every spring and I think the kids would love them lol and I am slightly crazy but that's a whole other conversation..... that being said. I am thinking dh can build me one of those moveable chicken coups, and I could keep probably 12 chickens easily in there.... I can't, as far as I know, have a rooster where we live but chicken in my back yard are okay as long as their coup can't be seen from the road. I honestly can't remember how many eggs a day or per chicken to count on? And do the brown ones REALLY lay more often? How crazy would it be to have like 10 brown hens and 2 silkies?

Quoting michiganmom116:

Goodness!  I cross stitch, knit, crochet, quilt, keep a blog, train horses, have a 2000 sq ft. garden in the summer, and I homeschool...I don't need another hobby!  LOL

I'm a "hobby farmer."  We raise chickens every summer and I know what feed costs.  We live in the middle of an ag area -- I know what hay and grain costs, too.

Quoting eesmommy:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN