Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I REALLY FEEL THE NEED TO SOUND OFF ABOUT RISING FOOD PRICES!

Posted by   + Show Post

Gee whiz....what is happening to our food supply?!  Groceries are going sky high where we live.  Every time I walk into the store, individual items have crept up 10-50 cents per item.

One little bag of Fuji apples is $4.97! We drink almond milk and its price is $2.88 for 2 quarts.  Its getting harder and harder to stretch the dollars...

What are the prices like where you live?

~FRUGALISTAS MOD~

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Replies (81-88):
Yuriko_chan
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Here where we live, if we shop on base, eggs are aprox. $1.48/dozen. Off base they are aprox. £2 for a HALF DOZEN. So we buy those on base. I'm trying so hard to find a place off base from a local farmer to buy our eggs from. We just got here a few months ago, so I'm not sure if any prices have gone up or not. But I do know that groceries on average are more expensive here than in the States, unless we shop farmer's markets and things like that.

JenieceMojica
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Omg my last trip was $560.00 and with coupons I got it down to about $390 but its insane how expensive food is....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM

WOW!  How many are you feeding and was that one shopping trip for a whole month?

Quoting JenieceMojica:

Omg my last trip was $560.00 and with coupons I got it down to about $390 but its insane how expensive food is....

JenieceMojica
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:26 AM
We are a family of 8 right now and this should last a few weeks.
My hubby and I have 3 kids but I have my mom, stepfather and brother with me now as well for a few weeks

Quoting michiganmom116:

WOW!  How many are you feeding and was that one shopping trip for a whole month?

Quoting JenieceMojica:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
big_red05
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM
That's not very much, that wouldn't be enough to feed us!

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

We got 3 kids meals, 2 burgers, a cup of chili, and a salad for $10

Quoting big_red05:

I couldn't feed my family with 10$ from Wendy's! Even with a coupon!

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Today we got dinner from Wendy's, I know it's junk, but for 4 of us it was $10 including drinks, with a coupon, cheaper than if I make dinner. It's very discouraging.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I can make a full meal for under $10, easily.  Burgers, homemade fries, and a salad...including drinks.

Quoting big_red05:

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Quoting big_red05:

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Today we got dinner from Wendy's, I know it's junk, but for 4 of us it was $10 including drinks, with a coupon, cheaper than if I make dinner. It's very discouraging.

scorpiobabes
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Safeway and Albertsons are not on the east coast where I live, and Acme (an Albertsons chain) and ShopRite are good for coupons, but too far away. We've been using Giant; the price difference on everything but meats versus Walmart isn't enough to justify going there. To get non processed food coupons, it really is based on the supermarket chain you shop at. Around here (NE PA), those type of coupons often require purchasing more food we can eat in a week (ten pounds of potatoes for two people!) or 5-pounds of fruits we don't eat are a waste of money.

Quoting Jacob1211:

Coupons are not just for processed foods. I went to Safeway this weekend and spent $116 and saved $164 with coupons and their club specials. I bought 3 bottles of 100% grapefruit juice $2 each and I had 3 $2/1 coupons. They were free. I could have gotten fresh grapefruit with that coupon as well. Rice, beef, chicken, pasta, bread, odawalla juice, etc. these are all non processed foods! I think people assume coupons are for junk food and they are not. I do not eat fast food at all. Maybe you should take a second look.

Quoting GrandmaSherry:

I rarely see coupons on apples or other raw fruits and vegetables. And much of the differences we see in our bills might have to do with location.  In my town, there's a Walmart and a Food Lion.  That's it...other than Dollar General where they keep some food items on hand.  If I want a bigger selection of stores, I have to travel 15-30 minutes.

I do find it price-effective to travel to Aldi, which is about 15 minutes away in the next town over.  Their produce is hard to beat.  It is great quality for the price.

One of my biggest hauls was when I saved about 80% off my grocery total using coupons and BYGO deals.  BUT....that was back when we were eating more processed food.  No more ravioli, vienna sausages, and mac and cheese at our house now.  Its a bit tougher to save as much on the foods we purchase these days.

big_red05
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what I was thinking.. I bought 2.5 kilos of chicken for 8€ and I made it last all week, it made 5 dinners for my family of 5 AND lunch for me and dh... Overall I spent maybe 15€ on all the ingredients total and that made what 15 "meals" that's 1€ a meal which is less then $2

Quoting michiganmom116:

I can make a full meal for under $10, easily.  Burgers, homemade fries, and a salad...including drinks.

Quoting big_red05:

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Quoting big_red05:

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)