• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bulk produce??

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM
  • 8 Replies

In season, sometimes FFA or our local produce mart takes orders on bulk fruits, like lugs of peaches or 10# bags of blueberries. Has anyone figured out the cost of canning and preserving these items. I know we wouldn't get our time back, but is it worth it?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I would definitely take advantage of it.  Blueberries can be frozen, which takes very little time and effort.  I've also canned peaches and they are definitely a money saver, not to mention YOU control the amount of sugar in them...I've even canned without sugar syrup and the fruit tastes as fresh as if you picked it off the tree.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I've been freezing what I grow or buy. I really, really want to learn to can. I've already requested 2 books from the library. DH just bought 2 cans of tomato paste and the whole time I'm opening them I'm thinking about how I could have learned last year to make this stuff myself instead of giving away what we didn't use immediately. Kicking myself!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristine316
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Rhonda, what did you use for a syrup?

Quoting michiganmom116:

I would definitely take advantage of it.  Blueberries can be frozen, which takes very little time and effort.  I've also canned peaches and they are definitely a money saver, not to mention YOU control the amount of sugar in them...I've even canned without sugar syrup and the fruit tastes as fresh as if you picked it off the tree.

Kristine316
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I core the stem from tomatoes and set them on jelly roll pans directly in the freezer for 24 hours. Then I put the "hard" frozen tom. in ziplocks for latter use. These work great for homemade chili and spagehtti sauce or in stock of veg. soup or swiss steak. The skins melt right off as they defrost. They'd be too mushy for salads or to replace "fresh."

Quoting mybratsmom:

I've been freezing what I grow or buy. I really, really want to learn to can. I've already requested 2 books from the library. DH just bought 2 cans of tomato paste and the whole time I'm opening them I'm thinking about how I could have learned last year to make this stuff myself instead of giving away what we didn't use immediately. Kicking myself!

workoutmom2b1g
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:32 PM

You can freeze pretty much all types of fruit and veggies. Go for it!! I wish I knew more about canning. Any tips or websites anyone?

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM
This is great!! Thanks!! We just bought a box of tomatoes yesterday and I've been sitting here thinking about what to do with them!!!

Quoting Kristine316:

I core the stem from tomatoes and set them on jelly roll pans directly in the freezer for 24 hours. Then I put the "hard" frozen tom. in ziplocks for latter use. These work great for homemade chili and spagehtti sauce or in stock of veg. soup or swiss steak. The skins melt right off as they defrost. They'd be too mushy for salads or to replace "fresh."

Quoting mybratsmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM

plain water

Quoting Kristine316:

Rhonda, what did you use for a syrup?

Quoting michiganmom116:

Kristine316
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Thanks Rhonda!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)