Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

money is looking tight right now...i need recipes

Right now its looking like I have $70 for food till the 13th because some of our money didn't come in. I have angel hair, elbow noodles, canned veggies, chicken wings, flour, sugar, pancake mix, milk, instant potatoes, about 3-4 fresh potatoes. I think that's it. (Off the top of my head)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Replies (21-30):
MrsWhite101610
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:44 AM
No food allergies, just picky eaters. We eat a lot of white meat chicken. And thanks

Quoting Megan11587:

Any food allergies?  I can help you make a meal plan, if you'd like.

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

2 adults and a 3 year old.

Quoting Megan11587:

How many people do you need to feed?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsWhite101610
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM
How do you make your stir fry?

Quoting Moki75:

I would make chili, spaghetti, tuna casserole, burritos and have breakfast for dinner.   stir fry goes a long way in our house.  I can use one chicken breast diced up for 5 people.   You need to make meat part of your meals and not the main dish.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

This is a kid fave:

Hot dogs & noodles skillet meal

1 pkg. hot dogs, sliced into 1/4 inch slices

1 pkg. egg noodles

1 Tbsp. butter

bit of diced onion (optional)

1 - 2 cans condensed tomato soup

Put egg noodles in boiling water and cook 8 minutes.  While noodles are cooking, saute the hot dogs and onion in melted butter, stirring to avoid burning.  When noodles are done, drain them and then combine them with hot dogs and add tomato soup.  Stir well and serve.

Moki75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I grew up on fried potatoes and sausage LOL.  My mom used to throw some frozen corn in there too and it was a one dish meal

Quoting michiganmom116:

• Sausage & Potato Skillet

This is a fairly inexpensive, quick-to-fix simple main dish.

Sausage & Potato Skillet

• 1 lb. fully cooked smoked or Polish sausage, sliced into 1/4" slices
    • 3 to 5 medium baking potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes
    • 1 medium onion, cut length-wise into thin wedges
    • garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste
    • 3 to 4 Tbsp. butter

Melt butter in a non-stick pan or electric skillet set on medium low heat. Add potatoes and onions. Cook, stirring frequently and carefully and covering between stirring until potatoes are just tender. Add the seasonings and gently stir to mix well. Add the sausage, cover and cook until sausage is heated through. Serve.

MrsWhite101610
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Thank you all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Corn Dog Muffins

• 8 1/2 ounces corn muffin mix
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 3 hot dogs, cooked
  • ketchup (optional)

Directions:

1. Prepare the corn muffin batter as directed on the box.
  2. Chop the hot dogs into bite-size pieces.
  3. Mix in the hot dog pieces into the batter.
  4. Pour batter into a greased muffin tin.
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
  6. Eat plain or with ketchup.
  7. Enjoy!
  8. Note: You can add more of less hot dog, depending on your own tastes :).
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Baked Beans

• 1 lb. dry navy beans (I've also used black-eye peas or great northern beans)
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3/4 c. ketchup
  • 3/4 c. brown sugar
  • 3/4 - 1 c. water
  • 1 tsp. dry mustard
  • 2 Tbsp. molasses
  • 1 tsp. salt

Soak beans in water overnight in large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer until soft, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain and discard water. Mix together all ingredients in crock pot. Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours.

Note: I often soak the beans the day before, cook them and then cook in crock pot overnight.

Note: I sometimes add sliced hot dogs or ham to the mixture. When I do this I reduce the salt to 1/2 tsp.

lillucky8
by Jen on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Canned tomatoes are usually cheap, you can make sauce, cook chicken or ground beef in them, serve with rice or pasta. Eggs are cheap and easy, im sure rhonda has great recipes for fritatas etc. We also make a 'fried' rice dish thats rice, scrambled eggs, bacon, and veggies mixed together served w a lil sprinkle cheese on top, its cheap and great as leftovers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM

This is a fabulous and easy side dish to throw together in a minute and bake alongside the main entree!

Creamy Baked Rice

• 3/4 c. uncooked white rice
  • 14 oz. can chicken broth
  • 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
  • 4 oz. can mushroom pieces
  • minced onion, to taste
  • 3 Tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased casserole dish.  Bake at 350° for one hour.

Moki75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I have many different ways.  I typically get a big bag of the stir fry veggies for 6 bucks.  It has two sauce packs you can use with it if you don't know how to make your own.  I cut my chicken up and cook in a tad bit of oil in the skillet.  Then I add the veggies and cook till they are tender.  Add the sauce and then serve over rice.  

I typically either make my own sauce or use a package and then add to it but in a pinch I have used the sauce that comes with the veggies and just added some crushed red pepper to it and it wasn't bad. 

I usually get 3 stir frys out of the big bag of veggies.  

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

How do you make your stir fry?

Quoting Moki75:

I would make chili, spaghetti, tuna casserole, burritos and have breakfast for dinner.   stir fry goes a long way in our house.  I can use one chicken breast diced up for 5 people.   You need to make meat part of your meals and not the main dish.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN