Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

money is looking tight right now...i need recipes

Right now its looking like I have $70 for food till the 13th because some of our money didn't come in. I have angel hair, elbow noodles, canned veggies, chicken wings, flour, sugar, pancake mix, milk, instant potatoes, about 3-4 fresh potatoes. I think that's it. (Off the top of my head)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Replies (41-50):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM

My MIL makes this with hot dogs instead of polish sausage, and then when she takes it off the heat she adds a 2:1 ratio of mayonnaise and ketchup.  It's pretty good.

Quoting michiganmom116:

• Sausage & Potato Skillet

This is a fairly inexpensive, quick-to-fix simple main dish.

Sausage & Potato Skillet

• 1 lb. fully cooked smoked or Polish sausage, sliced into 1/4" slices
    • 3 to 5 medium baking potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes
    • 1 medium onion, cut length-wise into thin wedges
    • garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste
    • 3 to 4 Tbsp. butter

Melt butter in a non-stick pan or electric skillet set on medium low heat. Add potatoes and onions. Cook, stirring frequently and carefully and covering between stirring until potatoes are just tender. Add the seasonings and gently stir to mix well. Add the sausage, cover and cook until sausage is heated through. Serve.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM

The Hillbilly Housewife has some very frugal from scratch recipes.   They have other frugal things there also.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/

MrsWhite101610
by Amanda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

The Hillbilly Housewife has some very frugal from scratch recipes.   They have other frugal things there also.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eevers55
by Eva on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM

GO to allrecipes and click the little link under the search box that says ingredients. Type in what you have and it will give you recipes containing those ingredients. Most have a few other ingredients, but it's good for ideas and such. I've found sooo many good recipes using only what I had in my cupboards the night before payday. But be sure to read people's reviews because I've found some not so good recipes as well.

nomadbrat83
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1/2 cup of brown sugar, italian dressing packet, and chicken. Rinse chicken then towel dry. Dip chicken in brown sugar and italian dressing dry mixture then place in either greased or foil lined dish. Bake on 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jlbelknap35
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM
You can make chicken and waffles!

Karine561
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Last time all I had left was potatoes garlic and chicken bouillon.....I made a potatoes soup with those I ingredien. It was really good, my kids ask for more.
Or last time I had a can of black beans and some left over chicken, I shredded the chicken put in the black beans and added some garlic anb persils......you can strech you food if you really think what is left first in the fridge. You can reinvent you left over and make anew meal.
lyrick24
by Melissa on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:42 PM

if youre like me and on a tight budget you cant afford to spend what little money you have on spices and such. here are a couple recipes that dont require any.

mexican chicken

3 chicken breasts

1 8oz. pack of cream cheese

1 large jar salsa

put all in crockpot and heat for four hours on high. shred. put over rice or noodles.

hawaiian chicken

3 chicken breasts

1 can crused pineapples

1 jar bbq sauce

put all in crockpot and cook on high for four hours. put over white rice.

chicken tacos

4 chicken breasts

1 can rotel diced tomaotes with chilis

1 packet taco seasoning

tacos

put all in crockpot and cook on high for four hours. shredd chicken and put on tacos. use what condiments you can afford.

pork chops

four boneless pork chops

1 onion

1 can cream of celery soup

mix all in crockpot. cook on high for four hours. serve over rice. i use herb and butter rice made my knorr in the bag. it only cost one dollar.

KRIZZ25
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM
peanut butter and noddles and milk .
Queen_Bree
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM

My kids favorite "broke day" recipe... They love it even when we aren't broke..lol

1 can corned beef hash

2 cans of mixed veggies

1 cup ketchup

I like to add groud nutmeg, ginger,cinnamon, oregano to equal 1tsp and a few clips of fresh cilantro

heat all together in a big frying pan until sizzling and serve over dumplings or noodles

for jamaican style dumplings

2 cups of flour

1/2 cup corn flour/meal

enough water to make a thick dough

put dough in boiling water and boil until firm but tender 

about 4-5 minutes

This meal costs about $3-$4 and serves 6. 

I wish you the best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)