Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coupons vs bulk stores

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 14 Replies
Hi everyone! I am very new to coupons that kind if overwhelm me but I want to buy a few things that I can get from bulk stores but u saw this thing online that bulk stores aren't exactly cheaper.
What do you think? I'm making a trip tomorrow so any help would be great
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Jen on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I buy some things at bjs, they take bjs coupons and manufacturer coupons on the same item, with those they are cheaper, and usually bigger. I only buy things im certain will be used.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Bulk stores are tricky.  A lot of people believe that bigger is cheaper.  Often, it's just not true.  You have to be aware of unit prices.  Compare those unit prices of the bulk items to the regular size products at your regular grocery store.  Not to mention, how to store the bulk in a way as to preserve its quality.

I have a Foodsaver vacuum sealer.  It's the best investment I've ever made in my kitchen.  This way, I can break down my bulk deals, vacuum seal and store.  But, I make sure I am really getting a bargain.  Otherwise, I buy more of things on sale at my grocer and then portion them out, vacuum seal and store.

kim8934
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I agree, it depends what you buy.  We also have a vacuum sealer and a meat slicer.  Deli meat is about half the price, when on sale, and bought in bulk and then package up the portions.  Not only is it cheaper, it's a higher quality.

matreshka
by Valerie on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM

It really depends on the cost of membership to the bulk stores.  We have BJ's near us and we get free passes each season.  We just use those, paying for membership is not worth it for us.  Also, we are able to use coupons there.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Quoting kim8934:

I agree, it depends what you buy.  We also have a vacuum sealer and a meat slicer.  Deli meat is about half the price, when on sale, and bought in bulk and then package up the portions.  Not only is it cheaper, it's a higher quality.

How much was your deli slicer?  I've thought about getting one just because most packaged deli meat is so high in sodium and preservatives.  I've thought about just getting the meat and slicing it myself.  Does it take up a lot of space?

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Unit prices are the whole key, OP.  I keep a price book.  I write down the unit price of everything I buy so that when I go to Costco I can look at the price and know if I'm getting a good deal or not.  I've found that at my Costco, cereals and Eggo waffles are the same unit price that I pay at the store, so I'm really not saving anything.  Tabasco sauce, on the other hand, is less than half the price at Costco as it is at the store.  These are just a few examples. 

kim8934
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I believe it was around $150 brand new.  It is worth it to spend a little extra money on a really good one.  I believe it is a Chef's choice, I can let you know for sure when I get home.  I buy the meat at GFS, when the meat is on sale and I have a coupon.  It is so much better than the reasonably priced deli meats. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting kim8934:

How much was your deli slicer?  I've thought about getting one just because most packaged deli meat is so high in sodium and preservatives.  I've thought about just getting the meat and slicing it myself.  Does it take up a lot of space?

MrsWhite101610
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM
I shop at sams club just for meat when its not on sale at my local grocery store. I get the membership free because I have my dad's second card. I think I save more couponing though because my local store doubles any coupon .99 or less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gumeshoe
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I have had costco memberships in the past but not currently. But it is tricky. You have to know your prices.

aa bateries will go on sale b4 Christmas for 40 @8 or 9 bucks, contigo cups 2 pks will go on sale for a dollar more than one cup in target, costco trash bags always cheap @14 dollars for 200 (great bags too), lemon juice is 5 dollars for 96 oz, at the market it casts 3 dollars for 1/3rd of that amount. Lego brickmaster books sell for 29.99, at costco they are 19.99, Christmas toys are pretty good prices, furniture this time of year pretty good price good quality. I got 2 lbs of pecans for 14 dollars. Cereal, heck no. Meat maybe if it is on sale. red bell peppers 6 dollars for 6 or 7. Windshield wipers at maybe 6 - 10 dollars will go on sale sometime for B1g1,which is a great price.My red wii back when was 20 bucks cheaper than the best sale price they had elsewhere.

I just use my friends card and go and catch most of those specials. Tuesday I just had her stop by on the way over here and grab me vinegar and lemon juice and I just paid her the 8 bucks when she got here. But it also saves me from splurge buying. Those places can cause splurge buying like no ones business. You go in for vinegar and lemon juice = 8 bucks and you come out and you have spent 120 bucks. So I am ok piggy backing and paying cash. It is safer here.

But like last winter got hubby a nice coat at sams for 30 bucks was a 80 dollar coat and was 3x. Hard to find a deal on a big guys coat. My mom  has a membership there. Got cuddle duds there for half normal price.

kaitybird
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I would say in your case, make a price book.  If you have a membership to any of the stores like Costco, BJ's or Sam's then you will know.  I know that right now you can't beat certain prices...Things like K-cups, Milk, salads you can't beat the Costco prices.  Costco has some great deals that you can't get anywhere else.   You also half the time can't beat the gas prices there either!   Couponing start slow otherwise you will get frustrated.  

Meat don't be afraid to buy meat that is on clearance just bring it home and freeze it!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)