Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

what would you do?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 14 Replies
my mother lent me money a while back. she said she was not going to ask for it back but now she is asking for it back. i was thinking of giving her my tax rebate but its a lot of money. i owe her around $4000.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mariannegie
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

It is a lot of money. That's why you should repay it.

angevil53
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:01 PM
You should def repay it. She may need that money.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicole1357
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I try not to borrow money at all. If I must, I make sure it is a sum I can pay back. In your case yes, I would pay it back. 

mommy06and09
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM
i try not to borrow money as well but at the time i was a single mother. i lost my child care assistance so it was borrow the money or loose my job because i couldnt afford daycare.

Quoting Nicole1357:

I try not to borrow money at all. If I must, I make sure it is a sum I can pay back. In your case yes, I would pay it back. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicole1357
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Don't get me wrong, I understand life happens. I'm not judging you at all.  

Quoting mommy06and09:

i try not to borrow money as well but at the time i was a single mother. i lost my child care assistance so it was borrow the money or loose my job because i couldnt afford daycare.

Quoting Nicole1357:

Our God is healer, awesome in power!

specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe give here a good chunk of you tax return.  And, then make an agreement for a monthly amount you can afford for the rest.

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I would gry to set up a payment plan, or give her half.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Definitely work with her on a payment plan, maybe give rher a chunck of your return then set up reasonable payments you can make.  That is a large sum of money and you don't want to it turn into an issue between you two.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Pay her back - $4000 is not worth the issues it will cause in the relationship.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pampire
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Will your return pay her off and leave you some, or leave you in an OK position?  If so, they I'd do that.  Money can screw up a good relationship very quickly.

If your return isn't enough to pay her off, talk to her and see how much she needs right away and how much she is willing to take in monthly payments.  Talk openly with her and set an amount that you can reasonably expect to make every month.

Once you hav a plan, put it all in writing and both of you sign it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)