Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

What to do w/ 45 pounds of chicken legs???

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM
  • 163 Replies

SO wanted to do my sales shopping today, so I didn't have to go out in the snow. He's sort of new to the excitment of sales & coupons but loves the "high" from it as much as I do. He misunderstood my 15 lbs of chicken to be 15 packages (of appx 3 lbs each). It was a good sale, 99 cents a lb. But now we have appx 45 pounds of chicken legs and I'm not sure what all to do with it.

We're a family of 6. SO & myself, a 6yr old, TWO 3yr olds, and a breastfeeding 5 month old. There are 10 legs in each package.

Allergys in the family include--- 3 tomato allergys, 3 lactoce intollerances (mostly to milk or large amounts of dairy), 1 coconut allergy, 1 sea-food allergy, 1 pinapple allergy & one blueberry allergy. If you could give me recipies or ideas it would be greatly appreciated. So far I have a basic fried chicken, the frenches fried onion baked chicken, and croc pot w/ vegis chicken.    OOH and if anyone has ideas for ribs that don't involve BBQ sauce that would be great. Those were BOGO a few weeks ago & we can't think of anything for em!

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ziff130
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Can them and freeze them. :)

MaskedMomma
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM

already in the freezers in the packageing it came in. Idk how to can/ don't have a canner. Nor do I have a vaccume sealer (that's next on my list of appliences I want)

Quoting ziff130:

Can them and freeze them. :)

ziff130
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I use a pressure cooker. :)

mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:52 AM
3 moms liked this

teryaki ribs. yum. lemon pepper chicken, chicken and dumplings, arroz con pollo, chicken fried rice, chicken salad sandwiches. That's all I got for now 

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Omg, that's funny! My husband always comes back from the store with the wrong things too...

MaskedMomma
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Do you have a recipie for teriki rib? And what UN the world is arozo something ssomething
Never heard if it lol

Quoting mamabearlehman:

teryaki ribs. yum. lemon pepper chicken, chicken and dumplings, arroz con pollo, chicken fried rice, chicken salad sandwiches. That's all I got for now 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dianne1259
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:40 AM

arroz con pollo is basically chicken with rice and some veggies, simply put.  It can also have sausage and shellfish in it but with the cost of food today, and the allergies in your family, it won't make any difference and it's a cheap way to use chicken legs.  Also, make some soup and freeze the stock (after you defat it) and you will have broth to make all sorts of things. . .

how about Fried Chicken?  or even just roasting the chicken with herbs and potatoes, marinate the chicken in salad dressing and roast it,

mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I just mix together soy sauce, minced garlic, ginger, sugar, (sometimes oyster sauce and sesame oil if I have it) and a little water. Reserve 1/3 teriyaki. Marinate ribs over night. Grill, bake, or even throw the ribs in the crockpot. When ribs are done cooking, boil reserved teriyaki in a small sauce pan. In a small bowl mix together 1 Tbsp cornstarch and 1 Tbsp water. Whisk cornstarch mixture into boiling sauce. Turn down to simmer. Sauce will thicken. Pour thickened sauce over ribs, garnish with thinly sliced green onions and serve with rice and veggies. YUM!

Quoting MaskedMomma:

Do you have a recipie for teriki rib? And what UN the world is arozo something ssomething
Never heard if it lol

Quoting mamabearlehman:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I would divide it up and freeze it.

busymomwithboys
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

i would freeze them as they are or cook them up and take the meat off the bone and freeze that.. i often to this when i get boneless skinless chix on sale and use it for homemade soups, salads or pulled chix sandwiches/meals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)