Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

What to do w/ 45 pounds of chicken legs???

Posted by   + Show Post

SO wanted to do my sales shopping today, so I didn't have to go out in the snow. He's sort of new to the excitment of sales & coupons but loves the "high" from it as much as I do. He misunderstood my 15 lbs of chicken to be 15 packages (of appx 3 lbs each). It was a good sale, 99 cents a lb. But now we have appx 45 pounds of chicken legs and I'm not sure what all to do with it.

We're a family of 6. SO & myself, a 6yr old, TWO 3yr olds, and a breastfeeding 5 month old. There are 10 legs in each package.

Allergys in the family include--- 3 tomato allergys, 3 lactoce intollerances (mostly to milk or large amounts of dairy), 1 coconut allergy, 1 sea-food allergy, 1 pinapple allergy & one blueberry allergy. If you could give me recipies or ideas it would be greatly appreciated. So far I have a basic fried chicken, the frenches fried onion baked chicken, and croc pot w/ vegis chicken.    OOH and if anyone has ideas for ribs that don't involve BBQ sauce that would be great. Those were BOGO a few weeks ago & we can't think of anything for em!

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Replies (21-30):
MOMMYSLOVE13
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I'd make Tamales!
mom2ljh
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
LMAO Think of all the poor leg less chickens, haha.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jadegirl1819
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I would repackage them into the amounts that I would use at a time.  I don't think the store packaging protects the food in the freezer.

We like corn flake chicken that's baked in the oven.  I have a sweet and sour crockpot recipe that I like.  Not sure how it works with the allergies, though.  Put chicken in the crock.  Then mix together an onion soup mix, bottle of french salad dressing, and a jar of apricot preserves in a bowl.  Pour over chicken and serve with rice.

Maybe find some marinade recipes online?

You can find some great dry rub recipes for the ribs online, too.

babyblue415
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM

fry the chicken and as far as ribs i would boil them and serve boiled peeled potatoes with brown gravy and apple suace

lovelychaos13
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:31 AM

hmmm strange concoction but ive known people to slice up apples a bit of cinnomin or brown sugar with chicken baked. you could do alot with different spices, italian spices, lemon peper, cajun spices, sage,thyme, lots of things can kick it up a knotch. go on and experiment, its what i do, i dont follow recipes 100% to the letter, im always tweeking things. sadly we use alot of tomatoe and dairy here in pretty much every meal

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:33 AM

neighborhood block party and i would bring the chicken legs lol

eevers55
by Eva on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Slow cook a good portion of them in some chicken broth or plain water on low all day (6-8 hours) then take them out when the meat is falling off the bone. Shred it in a separate bowl and freeze it in shredded meal portions. I do this when thighs and drumsticks are on sale but I don't always feel like dealing with the bones. I make tacos, bbq sandwiches, etc. The meat just has to be defrosted and reheated and sauced.

hip2it
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:34 AM

These are exactly what I was thinking.

You could do chicken noodle soup, too.  Chicken & sausage gumbo.

For the roasted chicken, toss chk in olive oil, sprinkle with herbs de provence, and roast for about 30 minutes or until done.  Flip halfway through.  I usually use split breasts for that recipe, but it's delicious.

Quoting P.johnson:

Chicken and dumplings, Coq au vin (or chicken cooked in red wine), Chicken and sausage Jambalaya, just a basic roasted chicken. all I can think of for now

eevers55
by Eva on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Also, go to allrecipes and use the ingredient finder link. It's under the search box. Click ingredient and type in what you have and what you don't want and the recipes will pop up containing (or not containing) what you've types in. I've found a ton of good recipes that way.

MaskedMomma
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Well chicken with a side of pork. We got a cartful of ribs & pokechops ( with what little steak & roasts they had) on bogo a few weeks ago.I got my wish, I wanted to fill up the deep freezer lol.

Quoting LyTe684:

Is it bad that I'm laughing???? LOL You'll be eating chicken.... FOREVERRRRRR!

lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)