Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

What to do w/ 45 pounds of chicken legs???

Posted by   + Show Post

SO wanted to do my sales shopping today, so I didn't have to go out in the snow. He's sort of new to the excitment of sales & coupons but loves the "high" from it as much as I do. He misunderstood my 15 lbs of chicken to be 15 packages (of appx 3 lbs each). It was a good sale, 99 cents a lb. But now we have appx 45 pounds of chicken legs and I'm not sure what all to do with it.

We're a family of 6. SO & myself, a 6yr old, TWO 3yr olds, and a breastfeeding 5 month old. There are 10 legs in each package.

Allergys in the family include--- 3 tomato allergys, 3 lactoce intollerances (mostly to milk or large amounts of dairy), 1 coconut allergy, 1 sea-food allergy, 1 pinapple allergy & one blueberry allergy. If you could give me recipies or ideas it would be greatly appreciated. So far I have a basic fried chicken, the frenches fried onion baked chicken, and croc pot w/ vegis chicken.    OOH and if anyone has ideas for ribs that don't involve BBQ sauce that would be great. Those were BOGO a few weeks ago & we can't think of anything for em!

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Replies (41-50):
ssassys
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Chicken verde - slow cook it in the crock pot with green chile sauce, onions, and garlic.  Serve with tortillas. Works well with pork too.  :)

shortycmlb
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Freeze it. Take it out of the package its in and put it in freezer ziploc bags. 

MaskedMomma
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

oh my goodness I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. Yep that sounds like something mine would do.

The thing is with having such a large family if I ONLY need 1 I'll just leave it blank. Otherwise I'll put in () the amount I need and spicify lbs or tubs or bottles or whatever. & I put the price it should be incase it doesn't ring up right (in the margine) & * it if theres a coupon.This was how his list looked

99       * pilsberry biscits (5 grands) (5 cinn rolls)

99         baby carrots

99 a lb    chicken legs  (15 lbs)

2.49 & BOGO lays chips (2 bags)

2.49     * alfredo sauce  (16 jars) ---------he uses 2 jars a meal, twice a month, figurd this would last a couple months lol

3ish      fench onion dip (1 big one)

he came back with 5 grands, 5 jr grands (he called & told me they were out of cinn ones so this is ok)

no carrots

2 bags of chips

2 boxes of brownies (apparently he thought bring my weekness in would make him feel better about breaking his un annonced strike on his weekness---my pumpkin muffins)

2 boxes of cheeze its ( a fav snack and they were 50cents off)

no alfredo

and 45 lbs of chicken legs in 15 packages of appx 3 lbs each

I love him :)

Quoting amberdotsmom:

First - If you have time Google Jeanne Robertson "Don't send a man to the grocery store" - it's one of her funniest stories and you'll definitely relate!

Try   allrecipes.com.   They don't really advertise that the site does this but....at the top there's the usual Search feature, just underneath it says "More".  The more is an advance search where you can specify the meal, the ingredient(s) you want and, important for you, the ingredients you don't want.  Then only the recipes that match will show.  It's a nice quick way to get some new ideas for meals without reading through the ingredients in every single chicken recipe to weed out stuff the family can't have.

ForeverInLove
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Bake them up, peel the chicken from the bone and skin. Boil up the skin and bone and allow to simmer for approximately three hours. Make homemade chicken noodle soup :)

You could also do a DF chicken pot pie.

juggamomma
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bethgoedeken
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

teryiaki chicken! check pinterest for ideas, that place has everything!

chunkyhoney78
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

honey chicken easy to make you will need - breadcrumbs, 1cup honey, 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Mix the vinegar and honey together take the chicken leg dip and coat then dip in breadcrumbs then place chicken on a baking pan sprayed with pam put in the oven at 375-400 cook for 45mins to an hour depends on how your high your oven cooks if you want you can drizzle a little bit of pure honey on top this is a favorite for my family kids love it plus its easy to make. you can also make chicken stir fry, chicken soup, chicken and broccoli, cheesy chicken, chicken enchiladas, ribs I like to season them and put them in foil packets with mixed veggies. my mind for the ribs are kinda blank lol

la_bella_vita
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I would divide it up and freeze it.

Ditto!

LiLsMaMa21
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I would just bake em up and cover them in hot sauce!! Lol. Other then that, I'm not much help! Lol.

kfroz0415
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Ribs: I'd be more helpful if I knew if they were beef or pork... 

Slow cooker or oven with sauerkraut. Sounds gross, super freaking delicious, as long as you like kraut. lol

Dry rubs?  

Chicken:

Boil, shred, and make soups like chicken noodle or chicken and barley, use the meat in fried rice.

Freeze them? lol  

BBQ chicken legs

Marinate them with Italian dressing and grill or broil. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)