Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Making Tortillas

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 18 Replies

I'm making my first batch of homemade tortillas tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips? Is a tortilla press worth buying or does a rolling pin do just fine?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bekalynne440
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I've never tried a tortilla press.  My rolling pin works just fine.  I'm also not a stickler on making sure they're perfectly round.  Sometimes they work out better if they're a bit sqare in fact.

chrissysnow22
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I have never used a press. Roliing pin works just fine for me. Putting them in a ziplock bag after cooking softens them up perfectly.

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this
I just made a batch last week for the first time in years. My tips would be get them as thin as you can, a cast iron pan works great for browning them, don't expect them to be like store bought tortillas.
As far as a press goes I don't think one is necessary, but I'm ok with the odd shaped tortillas I (or my kids) roll out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Stacie03
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Oh and I let my dough sit for around 2 hours after mixing it up. The tortillas were really easy to roll. I'm not sure if this helped or not.
kiske
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Rolling pin flattens more than any press I've tried.  My mom swears by using really hot water when add it.  And letting the dough rest before rolling.  DH and I are just starting to make our own, too.

schatzi869
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I was taught to make them with my hands, but we have a tortilla press too. We only make corn tortillas using maseca, and that's the only kind of tortillas that I've ever made. You want them thin and they should only take about a minute to cook on each side. I use a small ball of dough, about an inch in diameter (maybe less). If you use a press, use a piece of wax paper on each side because the dough sticks. They should kind of puff up in the middle when done and flatten back out when you put it on a plate.

Quoting mamabearlehman:

I'm making my first batch of homemade tortillas tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips? Is a tortilla press worth buying or does a rolling pin do just fine?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I've always done fine with a rolling pin.  I have a hand sized one from Pampered chef.  What I found worked best is to roll from the center of the dough circle outward, and be ready to do 2 to 3 rounds of that.

Pazamia
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Flour or Corn? A  rolling pin is best for flour and a press for corn.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM
I've always used a rolling pin
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moki75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I have so been thinking of doing this.  i have even watched a few you tube videos on it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN