Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas
Dh contacted the IRS today. She told us to file our taxes claiming the one child like we are supposed to. She said both parties would be audited and which ever party claimed the child and should not will be responsible for paying the IRS back and penalties.

When dh called to tell her the IRS said she could have her taxes reprepared to solve this problem. Her response was I don't have anything the IRS can take IRS can take from me so I don't care!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Replies (31-36):
MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this
The IRS will get what they want. They screwed up our return & shorted us almost $875. It took us almost 2 years to straighten it out even though it was their mistake. They cut us a check with a wee bit of interest since they held onto our money...we just got a 1099 for that interest.
a_and_j_momma
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:19 AM
Is your DH behind at all for support?

Is she refusing to sign the form allowing him to claim?
matreshka
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Well that was a lovely little 'tude on her part.  Best of luck!  Its good YOU are being proactive in dealing with this.

matreshka
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate to "like" your post because its awful what the IRS can do, but you are exactly right, they did it to us to years ago.  It finally got straightened out last year and we did get the full amount.  But my mother works in finance/corporate taxes so she helped out.

Quoting MissyB1011:

The IRS will get what they want. They screwed up our return & shorted us almost $875. It took us almost 2 years to straighten it out even though it was their mistake. They cut us a check with a wee bit of interest since they held onto our money...we just got a 1099 for that interest.

nmaxwell816
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

He is not behind on support.  They never discussed this form.  He is going to take her back to court to get this amendment added to their already CO.  

She has been warned that whoever (her or her BF) claimed the children needs to go take one child off.  DH also contacted an accountant who stated that we need to file like we normally would even though we have been informed and allow the IRS settle it.  According to the accountant, DH makes more so he would end up winning the tie breaker rule anyway

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Is your DH behind at all for support?

Is she refusing to sign the form allowing him to claim?

MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I think the hardest part is the hours of being on the phone. It is very hard to do that kind of stuff over the phone. We finally went into the local IRS office. It still took a couple of visits to figure out how it got screwed up.

Quoting matreshka:

I hate to "like" your post because its awful what the IRS can do, but you are exactly right, they did it to us to years ago.  It finally got straightened out last year and we did get the full amount.  But my mother works in finance/corporate taxes so she helped out.

Quoting MissyB1011:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)