Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Yesterday at walmart

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am on foodstamps as we are the working poor my wife works I am in school and we need them to fit the bill for the rest of the month and I am in school because I took a leave when my son was DX with Autism and now they are not hiring social workers at all.

So there I am at walmart cart full of stuff NO JUNK mind you unless you count the ice cream.

Someone behind us said "Oh great she has a food stamp card and is buying steak and shrimp" I turned and said "Really?" Do you know me? That is on sale and I can get 2 meals out of the steaks which are also on sale see the big bag of veggies? Oh and be ready to really hate me I have coupons and two ads for them to match" When she and her hubby saw I saved over $40.00 bucks they started asking me how I budget!

I cook all our meals since I go to school online I make my own bread ugh I hate being on FS but I see it as cash not "free" money just a push to help us so I budget it!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a_and_j_momma
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Glad you said something to them. Jerks :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I understand. The couple times we have had to be on them, its no fun. But as long as you arent abusing them - screw what everyone else thinks! Kudos to you for saying something, can't say I would have been nice. 

Morrigan333
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM

one of the ladies on Facebook I follow had a comment 2 weeks or so about a woman who bought $200 or so of food with FS then paid for her 32 inch flat screen tv with HER MONEY (that's how the FB user phrased it). Then others' comments were posted saying how dare she..that's my money too that bought her groceries....etc.

Steak is one thing( regular steak, sirloin,chuck,flank) but Filet Mignon? that's ridiculous..I priced it at our local store at like $8/lb..for 2 smll steaks it was like $18

Moki75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I was on food stamps for over a year and not once did anybody ever say anything to me.  And I totally would buy twinkies with them

RIP TWINKIES

Mommy4-27-08
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM
I totally understand where your coming from. I was on food stamps right after I left my kids dad and was enrolled in school. However, no one said a bad thing to me ever. I was always self conscience about it but no one was ever rude to me or anything. There was a time I had use it for my sons birthday cake and I felt so ashamed but realize now that it was very helpful for the time I needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Frosting
I really need to go to bed, but I'm too tired to get up and walk back there, lol. Poo.
Yesterday at 3:52 AM
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I don't hold hard feelings towards anyone who uses food stamps.  I know there are those who abuse the system, but there are plenty who don't and I wouldn't want to see food taken out of the mouths who really need it in order to make sure the others don't abuse it.  Several years ago my husband lost his job and we qualified for food stamps for 3 months.  Truthfully, 6 months would have really helped but I was so appreciative to get those 3 months.  I never once felt bad for using them.  Not for a minute.

nmaxwell816
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Who cares if what you buy!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Homeschoolmom99
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Um no I just came from Albertsons with the last of the shopping and save another $106.00 bucks! And 85 bucks of that was in meat savings all buy one get one free plus our Albertsons had coupons on each one for a buck each

Quoting Morrigan333:

one of the ladies on Facebook I follow had a comment 2 weeks or so about a woman who bought $200 or so of food with FS then paid for her 32 inch flat screen tv with HER MONEY (that's how the FB user phrased it). Then others' comments were posted saying how dare she..that's my money too that bought her groceries....etc.

Steak is one thing( regular steak, sirloin,chuck,flank) but Filet Mignon? that's ridiculous..I priced it at our local store at like $8/lb..for 2 smll steaks it was like $18

Homeschoolmom99
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM

So many do that is why this group is where I vented about it!

Quoting nmaxwell816:

Who cares if what you buy!

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM
I am glad you said something!! Shocked they had the balls to try to embarrass you. Assholes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN