Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vacuum Sealer...?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you have one? If so, how much are they typically and don't you have to have special bags, how much are they?

Basically, how does it work and is it a good investment?

-Thanks!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:06 AM
We got a food saver as a wedding gift, I do love it. Haven't used it much because food doesn't last long in a household of 6. This summer I hope to use it more, hope to have more to preserve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherhalf
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:15 AM
2 moms liked this
I just got the foodsaver 3880. I got it on sale and with a coupon for $133. There are some a lot cheaper but this had features I liked. I'm foodsaving everything. I just started once a month cooking and the ziplock freezer bags would get ice in them even if I sucked all the air out. The foodsaver works so much better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caseyloo
by Casey on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:18 AM
1 mom liked this

We have one.  We've had it at least 7 years.  It's awesome!  When we bought it it was a little over $100.  We use it all the time.  We just get the rolls and make the bags.  My dh seperates all the meat and vacuum seals it when we get home from shopping.  I also use it for soups and stews, although you have to freeze them in a container first and then transfere them to a bag. It's also great for large blocks of cheese. I feel like it really helps us save. 

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I got a Seal a Meal for free from friends. I use it from time to time.  Bags are kind of expensive.  But worth it. If you plan on buying meat in bulk.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I've got a FoodSaver.  We paid $50 for it new.  Bags were $13 a roll the last time I bought them.  You CAN wash and reuse the bags.  We also use it to reseal other bagged foods.  Foods definitely last a lot longer when we use the FoodSaver.

lillucky8
by Jen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I was thinking about getting one for freezing meats, dh isnt eating them fast enough and i dont want to lose any to freezerburn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kiske
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I had one until it finally died.  I haven't replaced it yet but I've started looking for them on sale.  I do throw out more food now because it goes bad more quickly.

matreshka
by Valerie on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I have been wanting to get one but was unsure if they worked properly.  Thanks for all your input ladies.

specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I have a Foodsaver and I can't live without it!!  It's nice to be able to stock up on meat when it goes on sale.  I break it down into meal portions, vacuum seal and freeze.  I also buy bulk block cheese and do the same.  Cheese lasts soooo much longer when vacuum sealed.  If you use only part of an onion, vacuum seal the remaining part and put in the fridge.  It will last you 3 times longer!  When you need it again, cut it open, cut what you need, vacuum seal the rest.  Eliminates the odors in your fridge as well.

When I make soups, stews and casseroles, I double my recipes.  Then, freeze the extra for quick meals during busy times. 

anotherandree
by Inga on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM

We used to have a FoodSaver, but the bags were getting costly and we found that it was easier for us to just use Ziploc bags.  What I used mine for (and I kinda wish I still had it for) was I would vacuum seal newspapers from the kids' birthdays and important dates.  For example, I have 3 major papers (NY Times, USA Today, and another one) from the World Trade Center crashes.  I also have the local newspaper from date each of my kids were born, individually sealed, and put with their baby stuff.  They are brand new.  I have also vacuum sealed various baby things, like their christening clothes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)