Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Need opinions: Is this a good deal?

I am getting stuff for my girls for spring/summer: 

Maddie: size 12 months 41 tops & 36 bottoms

Emma: size 2T  25 tops, 33 bottoms, 1 bathing suit

All this stuff is gentle used (buying from a store online) 

Price is $405.15 but w/a 20% discount it would be $325.20

After this I don't plan on buying anything else except some shoes for both. 

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Replies (11-19):
EmmasMommy2011
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Our kid will is $2 and up for childrens clothes 0-12 months and the one Salvation Army we closest to use might have nice kids clothes every once and a while. not very often. The people on craigslist want outragouse prices for just a handful of clothes. And the freecycle group in my area are very rude.

Quoting rmp:

I also think it it way too much clothes just my opinion. My best friend has a childrens consignment store and I used to help her. I think they are expensive. Goodwill has all kids clothes for .99 cents to 1.99. Salvation Army has 1/2 off all clothes today and one local thrift store in my area has all clothes 25 cents on wednesdays. I would also try Craiglist and maybe join Freecycle in your area--it would be free clothes. I cleaned out all my kids clothes in November and I got 71 hangers out of one closet. Yah --I will not do that again. Kids grow fast. In 2 months I am cleaning all the closets again. More stuff that no longer fits.

bexsmum
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I am assuming that the bottoms include shorts and long pants just as the tops include tank style as well as long and short sleeve if its for spring and summer. Now for the little one I would be buying some of this in a 18 month size spring summer is normally when kids tend to have growth spurts for some reason. I don't find the prices and cost all that outrageous but I live in Canada and nothing is cheap even resale. I believe in having lots of clothes as mine would be changed at least once during the day and if we went out they were changed as well. It was not implasible to go through 15 plus outfits in one week and Kids stain stuff and ripe stuff so that stuff didn't make it through the season.  Even as teens mine have at least 10 days worth of clothing . Although the DD could cloth a small country at this point in time with her many wardrobes,for varying things.

rmp
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Sorry to hear that the thrift stores, craigslist, and freecycle are not good in your area. Then maybe that is your only choice. It is not expensive per piece when you do the math.  

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM

What is that? 

Quoting Bertha21:

Is it from thredup?

Bertha21
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM
It's an online store for gently used, or brand new clothes that are priced good.

Quoting AzariahsMother:

What is that? 

Quoting Bertha21:

Is it from thredup?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Oh, learn something new everyday.  Is it only for children?  I'm going to have to check it out. 

Quoting Bertha21:

It's an online store for gently used, or brand new clothes that are priced good.

Quoting AzariahsMother:

What is that? 

Quoting Bertha21:

Is it from thredup?

Bertha21
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Yeah it's only for children, and for your first purchase you get 20% off! The clothes I got from there were all new, and brand name. I didn't care that they were brand name, but it was cool that they were. Lol

Quoting AzariahsMother:

Oh, learn something new everyday.  Is it only for children?  I'm going to have to check it out. 

Quoting Bertha21:

Quoting AzariahsMother:

What is that? 

Quoting Bertha21:

Is it from thredup?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Too many clothes! 12-15 outfits per size per child is my general guideline. Kids don't need more than that especially if you know they are growing fast. Separates and easy to wash items!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I agree with the others, I get a few outfits that easily mix and match.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN