Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

homemade bread ?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 23 Replies

how do you store  fresh loafs? and also those that buy flour in bulk where do you but it from?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Don't make it sorry. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I kept bread bags from store bread and store the loaves in those.  You can also double bag the bread and freeze it to keep it longer.

I bought flour in bulk from a local bulk foods store.  Same with bags of yeast sold in 1 lb. pkgs.

chrissysnow22
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Saran Wrap or old bread bags.

I buy bulk flour at food max or costco
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dabberdoo
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I wrap it in Saran wrap or foil or a gallon size freezer bag and put it in the freezer.  We go through it quickly enough that it doesn't have time to get freezer burned.  I buy my flour in bulk at a Mennonite store in southern Ohio when I visit my parents.  I heard there was an Amish store about an hour and a half from me that I want to visit and check their prices.  I use unbromated and unbleached flour for EVERYTHING I make. 

Melissa823
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I'm gluten free now, but was a master at delicious, gluten-filled bread....

I freeze loaves that won't be eaten within a few days. Wrap in freezer paper, foil, and then bagged. Let thaw completely on it's own. Don't try to mic or oven...

Loaves that we will eat soon get wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, foil, and then stored in a container.

I bought my bulk flour from Sam's Club.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I've gotten bulk flour at GFS Market or Sam's Club.

anotherandree
by Inga on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I have a tupperware type thingy that I keep my bread in.  It was a pain to find out that was big enough to fit homemade loaves.  I get my bread flour from Sam's.  A 20lb bag is like $8.

Bonita131
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Quoting Melissa823:

I freeze loaves that won't be eaten within a few days. Wrap in freezer paper, foil, and then bagged. Let thaw completely on it's own. Don't try to mic or oven...

Loaves that we will eat soon get wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, foil, and then stored in a container.

Why do you use so much wrapping on bread that you'll be eating soon? Seems awfully wasteful using plastic wrap and foil for a loaf of bread that's going to be inside a container.

Dabberdoo
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:55 AM
Wow.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Melissa823:

Why do you use so much wrapping on bread that you'll be eating soon? Seems awfully wasteful using plastic wrap and foil for a loaf of bread that's going to be inside a container.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Melissa823
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:14 AM

Homemade bread gets stale EXTREMELY fast. I don't replace the wrappings each time, I rewrap in the same paper until the loaf is gone... If you don't you will be likely wasting the bread by throwing it away because it's moldy or forcing yourself to eat it stale.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Melissa823:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)