Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

When a storm is approching...

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 27 Replies

What do you make sure to have on hand.  Do you go out and fill your gas tank and go grocery shopping with the rest of the mob?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I make sure we have working flashlights, candles, foods I can cook on the stove top (its a gas stove).

SparklingHope
by Melissa on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Yeah. I normally do like to go to the grocery store depending on what type of "storm" is heading our way before hand. Sometimes they magnifiy 3-6" as a "Storm"..but it's WI people..should be use to that little bity snow! lol. I don't freak out over that..I tend to run and prepare for things if we're getting like 10+ inches. 

I also make sure the candles are around, etc. 

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM

We never know what we are going to get here in western Mass until it falls because we are on the line of epic snofall and just a few inches.  I try not to listen to the projections, just know a storm is coming and be prepared just in case.

Quoting SparklingHope:

Yeah. I normally do like to go to the grocery store depending on what type of "storm" is heading our way before hand. Sometimes they magnifiy 3-6" as a "Storm"..but it's WI people..should be use to that little bity snow! lol. I don't freak out over that..I tend to run and prepare for things if we're getting like 10+ inches. 

I also make sure the candles are around, etc. 

lillucky8
by Jen on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM
I make sure there is gas in my car, and the basics in the house, candles and flashlights, and ill make some extra bottles in case the power goes out. But we live in.the city so we dont lose water, i just like to be prepared.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
We are due for 18-24 inches tomorrow...yipee
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

nope. My husband is the manager of a grocery store so I don't really do anything extra. He has to be there for "the mob" so he'll just bring stuff home when the store closes

RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM

i make sure my van is topped off simply because we don't plow out here and the heavier my van is the less it slides.

I make sure i have my firewood box filled, i usually go get a few things like milk and bread because i don't want to have to run out for them. 

I'm not too worried about flashlights and things because we have several wind up lanterns for camping and they don't take batteries.

I also make sure the chicken coop is clean, they have their water and food topped off and that their run is covered.  I try and pick up dog poo as well.

MCA23
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Trying to keep my gas tank full anyway right now because we've had crazy cold and I've been having car problems.

Last time we just made sure we had some firewood in case we lost power, we could still keep the downstairs warm.  I don't usually feel the urge to rush out and get milk and bread, though. 

erienne06
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Gas in the car, stock up on food for us, plus water and milk for Lani
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I don't hit the panic button like so many do.  We have candles and oil lanterns anyway.  I just make sure the flashlights work (just in case) and make sure I have enough oil for the lanterns.  We have plenty of canned goods in the pantry at all times.  Nobody will go hungry if we end up without power for a short time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)