Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working full time and cooking from scratch

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone else work full time and cook almost everything from scratch?  I've been trying to cook more and more at home.  It started with wanting us to be healthier, (which we are now), and snowballed when dh saw how much money we were saving.  But it seems like all I do now is work, cook, and clean up.  Does anyone have any tips?  I do use my crockpot a good bit, and I do try to do some prep work ahead of time.  Any other ideas?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Replies (21-29):
nycdoll
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

yes, your husband seems to be able bodied... he needs to learn how to cook... otherwise, saving money just isn't as important to him as he thinks it is.

Kristine316
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM

My husband will help in the cooking if needed, but he does most of the dish washing and I feel that is a fair trade. I love to cook, but don't enjoy doing dishes.

Quoting nycdoll:

yes, your husband seems to be able bodied... he needs to learn how to cook... otherwise, saving money just isn't as important to him as he thinks it is.

nycdoll
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM

well, if he does the dishes and helps, then I'd let it slide, too :)

BeachLifeMama
by Dawn on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Exactly what I do, look at Pinterest or All Recipes app & helps me a lot especially on hectic long day from work & school.

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Check Pinterest for make ahead meals, easy meals, crock pot ideas. They have great stuff. Also taking a few hours a week like said above to prep really helps. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Freezer meals would be a good idea. I'm going to start making them. I'm going to do 1 week of meals today then eventually work my way up to 4 weeks of meals. But I am going to do 5 meals per week, since we always have leftovers.
EDDES
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM

bump

cherishhope
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I am still trying to figure this out myself lol
caseyloo
by Casey on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Actually my husband does help, I don't think I said he didn't.  He does a lot of the clean up and a good bit of the shopping for me.  I really love to cook, so I would prefer to do that part, although he does do dinner at least once a week for me.  Plus he is home with the kids during the day so he does all their breakfasts and lunches. 

Quoting nycdoll:

P.johnson
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I use the crock pot a lot also. Sometimes I do the cook twice a month thing. I do get everyone to help out though. I make a menu getting everyone to pick a dish. Then we spend two days making those meals and frezzing them. For example A menu could be lasagna, homemade pizzas, chicken alfredo, tater tot casserole etc.. Get those little dispoable casserole dishes(tins) and make put them wrap them date them and just take out put in oven we ready for that dish.

I know it may sound like a lot of work at first. but so worth it at the end. Thats why it's important to get the family to help. Even the little ones they can help put chesse on or simple things.. This has saved so much time in my house. And brought a closness together with the family since everyone gets to help. Saves money and time, best of all we know what we are eating.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)