Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I recently purchases half a hog from a butcher in my town for a good price and now I need some recipes to use it! I am stumped after pulled pork sandwiches, blts, and fried pork chops. I need some creative ideas for some yummy recipes to try, and side dishes to go with it would be awesome!

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Replies (21-25):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Breakfast Bake

• 1 lb./2 cups browned bulk pork sausage or diced ham, or crumbled cooked bacon
  • 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • optional toppings:  can of mushrooms (drained & diced), chopped green and/or red pepper, frozen spinach (thawed & drained), diced onion or dry onion flakes
  • 2 lb. bag tater tots

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Layer meat and cheese in a lightly greased 9 x 13 pan/baking dish.  Blend eggs and milk until well mixed; pour over cheese & meat.  Add additional toppings if desired.  Top with frozen tater tots.  Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in preheated oven.

rubybabypsychic
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:53 AM
oh like that one michigan sounds really good ty
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I do boneless pork ribs and saurkraut.   I do it in the crock pot. You could do it with a pork loin.  I will layer ribs and kraut. Then I either add a little bit of cut apple or a sprinkle of brown sugar. To cut the sour tasted of the kraut down.  Then I add some pepper to taste.  I serve it over  mashed potatoes.  There is always sweet and sour pork. Like a Asian dish.  I cooked for the Italians for a while. We did Pork Chop Calabrese.  It's a pan fried or grilled pork chop. We'd sautee some bell pepper fresh garlic and onion. Then sprinkle in some crushed red pepper flakes to taste. spread the pepper/ onions over the pork chops.  It was served with garlic butter pasta. 

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I like to make pulled pork sandwiches with pork roast.  I start it in the crockpot the night before.  I slice some onions, salt, pepper, and garlic the roast really good and stick it in the crockpot with a can of Coke.  I cook it on low all night long.  The next morning I drain the crockpot of all the liquid (and take out the onions because my DH doesn't like the texture of onions, even if they've been boiled in Coke all night) and shred the roast and put it back in the crock with barbeque sauce.  Then I cook it on low all day.  It's really good and super easy.

allabout11708
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Get a 9x13 glass pan, spray it with cooking spray. Open a can of apple pie filling and spread on the bottom of the pan. Brown some pork chops (I use boneless) and place them on top of the apples. Make up some stove top stuffing (don't cook it, just add your hot water and butter to it per the directions on box) and spread it over the top of your chops. Cover with foil and bake at 350 until your chops are cooked. These are AMAZING!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)