Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Food allergies and COST!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:24 AM
  • 12 Replies
Can anyone please give me advice on keeping cost down with a child who has multiple food allergies. My son is allergic to dairy, and citric acid, lemons and oranges.
Oh, and due to a kidney disease we basically on a low salt diet....for convenience I shop at whole foods, but the prices are outrageous!
Any thoughts or experiences with this would be so helpful!:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrstheriault
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:27 AM

do you have a natural grocers near you? i found they carry a lot of the same items but sometimes several bucks cheaper than whole foods. 

http://www.naturalgrocers.com/store-locations 

DieselsMom
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Easy...stop shopping at whole foods!!! And cook from scratch, to avoid all that sodium....the fruit allergies stink, I know b/c you'd be amazed at what has strawberry and pear in it, and my son can have neither...I'd sugggest couponing also....things like Silk or Almond Milk always have coupons out!!

Ramstb
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Thanks for the responses! Love the ideas! I do have a few local natural groceries and some farmers markets!
I've never really needed to do coupons,but considering one of his RXs is $1000, IT'S TIME!:)
Thanks again for the ideas! I'm off to couponing and natural food stores!:)
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM

WHole foods is way overpriced. I have a love/hate relationship with them. We have food sensitivities and I am trying to stay vegetarian (dh has allergies to legumes).  One thing about WF is that you can stack manufacturer coupons store coupons and sale prices all together.

Have you tried soy/almond/hemp or oat milk? At our regular store I just got  a half gal of Almond dream for 1.99!  Even super walmart carries those now and they are much cheaper than WF.

I am a cheese lover and there are some good soy or rice cheeses out there.

Salt is easy to keep down when you stay away from packaged foods.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Have you tried looking into Paleo recipes?  It seems like strict Paleo is dairy-free. 

I think if someone in my family had allergies like that, I would just remove it from our diet altogether.  I wouldn't try to find substitutes because it seems like that is where it really gets expensive.  KWIM?

catrig
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

We don't have food allergies, but we do try to keep costs down.  I check markdowns at multiple stores and buy whatever we will use.   Yesterday I bought 25 bell peppers for around ₵5.  The sale price around here is usually ₵1.  I'll keep a few out for the kids to snack on.  The rest will be thrown in the freezer for fajitas and what not.  Buy cheap and stock up.

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I'm sorry I am no help. 

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM
No ideas. I wish we has whole foods or trader joes...
AiW
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Amazon has some allergy friendly foods, that you may be able to buy in bulk via the subscribe and save program. You can find Rice Dreams and Soy Dreams there. If you're dairy free, and trying to watch costs, avoid cheese substitutes. They're pricey, and not the best anyways. I prefer Earth Balance for margerine, but depending on the store, there are big price differences. If its out of your budget, you can substitute cooking oil for certain things. Check your local Walmart- you might find Earth Balance there, as well as other alternative foods. Same for your local grocery stores. You can also email the manufacturers and ask if they have coupons, or go on their websites to check for them.
chrissysnow22
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Farmers markets
Cook from scratch
Meal plan
Coupon. Whole foods allows stacking
Look for stores like grocery outlet. They have a lot of fresh, organic foods.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN