Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food allergies and COST!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post
Can anyone please give me advice on keeping cost down with a child who has multiple food allergies. My son is allergic to dairy, and citric acid, lemons and oranges.
Oh, and due to a kidney disease we basically on a low salt diet....for convenience I shop at whole foods, but the prices are outrageous!
Any thoughts or experiences with this would be so helpful!:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Replies (11-12):
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM

We are gluten free, sugar free, preservative/artificial anything free, don't use most oils, etc.

I shop a lot online.  Amazon has great subscribe and save prices.  Vitacost is another place I get a lot of things from.  Free shipping on both of them.  Works great for us :)  We cook completely from scratch btw.

We only go to whole foods to find new ideas to buy online lol.

bikerlady007
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Check your local state government web site for "buy local" programs.  Often there will be lists of farmer's markets, small farms etc. where you can pre buy a share at the begining of the season.  They usually have several choices, then through the season, you get your fresh produce from them every week, some even deliver. 

By making most of your foods from scratch, you can control the ingredients as well as keeping the costs down.  I have even heard of some kids having their allergies almost disappear just by eliminating store bought eggs, and changing to free range backyard chickens for their eggs.  Growing as much of your own food as you can will eliminate pesticides which can cause allergies. So will eating "whole foods" as much as possible. Keep it simple and natural.

It's the same with cleaning products, so many of them are loaded with toxic chemicals that excaberate allergies, yet white vinegar and baking soda will clean so much, cleanly and safely.  Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)