Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

a few months back I had placed blackout curtains in the bedrooms. With the temps falling below 0 some nights, I have invested in more of these for other rooms. I bought the Eclipse Blackout curtains. This was the lowest grade of the 3 types. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eclipse-Samara-Blackout-Energy-Efficient-Curtain/15734048

My kitchen window over the sink was the worse, would develope ice on the inside after I did dishes. Not anymore since I replaced the curtain.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM

oh that is creepy. We have houses behind us, so I just don't like how anyone could look in on me and dd from all the other yards. My mom's house backed into woods, so it wasn't an issue. I mean, at least I don't have to worry about people sneaking in since we have chimes on every door and window, but still, I think it would make me feel better to have these curtains. I'll bring it up to FIL and mention that they might save energy too. 

Quoting Anniea90:

We caught someone looking in and I think he has done it before. Not sure if he was looking at me (I was changing my shirt) or DD (she was in her panties getting ready for bed). So for my peace of mind they were worth the cost. 

Quoting boshs1andonly:

this is kind of why I want to get them, although it does get pretty cold here too. We have two sets of french doors and I don't like feeling like someone is looking in at me and dd. I leave the lights on all day and my MIL (who was here yesterday) was like, why don't you just open the shades? I didn't answer her though, but I just prefer to keep those closed. 

Quoting Anniea90:

we got them because we caught a neighbor lookin in... long story. Money and energy wise, idk if they are worth it

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Here is the year report, went from 800 kWh for a warm winter Jan 2012 of low 36 high 51. Jan1-7, there were a few cold days. This Jan 2013, highs have been mostly in the 20's a few 40's. Our rank went from 89 worst efficient to 28. We get these reports every few months, they drive me crazy because how they compare our family of 6 to the seniors who have no family is a little unfair in my opinion. But this report was interesting since it is after one of the coldest month so far.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Have you noticed a change in energy use?

IndigoRose
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I even put wool blankets over some of the windows in rooms that we've closed off in our big century house.  Nothing is warmer or a better insulator, as far as cloth, than wool.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Our stalker was peeping in our 3 yr old daughters room. I agree, I love it because the sun doesn't shine in early in the mornings. Blocks out the sounds outside. My hubby works nights sometimes during exercises on Base, he loves them. I am dreading spring because the snow will melt and no way to tell if our stalker is back.

Quoting Anniea90:

my room is where we put ours. it just to get really hot in the summer and this yr even on the hottest days it didnt seem too. i also am a fan of the dark. so its nice that i can block the world out if i need to

Quoting DawnPratt23:

That was why we got them to. I've noticed a difference in the rooms they weren't before the storms we've been getting.

Quoting Anniea90:

we got them because we caught a neighbor lookin in... long story. Money and energy wise, idk if they are worth it

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM

our kitchen window has a rolled up towel at the base and then the curtain on top. I am about to do that with the bathroom. Both areas never get much sun, so the snow and ice stay around longer than other windows.

Quoting IndigoRose:

I even put wool blankets over some of the windows in rooms that we've closed off in our big century house.  Nothing is warmer or a better insulator, as far as cloth, than wool.

Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM
2 moms liked this

i put a motion light above the window, planted a holly bush and got the curtains...

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Our stalker was peeping in our 3 yr old daughters room. I agree, I love it because the sun doesn't shine in early in the mornings. Blocks out the sounds outside. My hubby works nights sometimes during exercises on Base, he loves them. I am dreading spring because the snow will melt and no way to tell if our stalker is back.

Quoting Anniea90:

my room is where we put ours. it just to get really hot in the summer and this yr even on the hottest days it didnt seem too. i also am a fan of the dark. so its nice that i can block the world out if i need to

Quoting DawnPratt23:

That was why we got them to. I've noticed a difference in the rooms they weren't before the storms we've been getting.

Quoting Anniea90:

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

we placed these heat control film and wooden blinds on all the window. They do sell privacy film and it does work.

Quoting boshs1andonly:

this is kind of why I want to get them, although it does get pretty cold here too. We have two sets of french doors and I don't like feeling like someone is looking in at me and dd. I leave the lights on all day and my MIL (who was here yesterday) was like, why don't you just open the shades? I didn't answer her though, but I just prefer to keep those closed. 

Quoting Anniea90:

boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

ok thanks! I'll look into these and talk to FIL about them

Quoting DawnPratt23:

we placed these heat control film and wooden blinds on all the window. They do sell privacy film and it does work.

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting Anniea90:

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

we did place cameras, but already have two large trees in front.

Quoting Anniea90:

i put a motion light above the window, planted a holly bush and got the curtains...

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting Anniea90:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting Anniea90:

Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a family member that wanted her bushes gone. So we pulled up her holly bush and I put it in front of my window. 2 birds, 1 stone. 

Quoting DawnPratt23:

we did place cameras, but already have two large trees in front.

Quoting Anniea90:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting Anniea90:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Quoting Anniea90:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)