Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

a few months back I had placed blackout curtains in the bedrooms. With the temps falling below 0 some nights, I have invested in more of these for other rooms. I bought the Eclipse Blackout curtains. This was the lowest grade of the 3 types. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eclipse-Samara-Blackout-Energy-Efficient-Curtain/15734048

My kitchen window over the sink was the worse, would develope ice on the inside after I did dishes. Not anymore since I replaced the curtain.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Replies (21-24):
joanandgene
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:59 AM

We purchased the frosted privacy film from Lowe's a few years ago.  We applied it to the bottom half our laundry room windows since it faces the road front. I have complete privacy night and day and it allows the light to come through.  The only problem is that I can't see what is going on outside which is much needed especially when the grandchildren are visiting. As for energy efficiency, I haven't noticed any difference

scorpiobabes
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM

What is heat control film? We rent, and I was considering putting the plastic over the windows because it's so cold. What I really need is something to block the light and noise in our bedroom, and the noise in the other rooms. It's like we have single pane windows and the cold just comes right in. Yes, we have a REALLY cheap landlord!

Quoting DawnPratt23:

we placed these heat control film and wooden blinds on all the window. They do sell privacy film and it does work.

Quoting boshs1andonly:

this is kind of why I want to get them, although it does get pretty cold here too. We have two sets of french doors and I don't like feeling like someone is looking in at me and dd. I leave the lights on all day and my MIL (who was here yesterday) was like, why don't you just open the shades? I didn't answer her though, but I just prefer to keep those closed. 

Quoting Anniea90:

we got them because we caught a neighbor lookin in... long story. Money and energy wise, idk if they are worth it

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Gila heat control is a film that attaches to the glass, and reflects the heat. For what you want the curtains are the best and something you can take. Gila has different types of film, some reflect heat, some for privacy and dome for decorative.

Quoting scorpiobabes:

What is heat control film? We rent, and I was considering putting the plastic over the windows because it's so cold. What I really need is something to block the light and noise in our bedroom, and the noise in the other rooms. It's like we have single pane windows and the cold just comes right in. Yes, we have a REALLY cheap landlord!

Quoting DawnPratt23:

we placed these heat control film and wooden blinds on all the window. They do sell privacy film and it does work.

Quoting boshs1andonly:

this is kind of why I want to get them, although it does get pretty cold here too. We have two sets of french doors and I don't like feeling like someone is looking in at me and dd. I leave the lights on all day and my MIL (who was here yesterday) was like, why don't you just open the shades? I didn't answer her though, but I just prefer to keep those closed. 

Quoting Anniea90:

we got them because we caught a neighbor lookin in... long story. Money and energy wise, idk if they are worth it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Yours was designed for privacy, not heat control. We were torn on which was more important at the time. Now I wish for a couple rooms we went with privacy.

Quoting joanandgene:

We purchased the frosted privacy film from Lowe's a few years ago.  We applied it to the bottom half our laundry room windows since it faces the road front. I have complete privacy night and day and it allows the light to come through.  The only problem is that I can't see what is going on outside which is much needed especially when the grandchildren are visiting. As for energy efficiency, I haven't noticed any difference

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN