Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

If you had the means to live non-frugally would you? Or would you still do somethings the frugal way? 

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
bikerlady007
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this

It would be great to be able to afford to eat out occasionally, but I think I would still bargain hunt.  It is now second nature to check prices online and once I have the cheapest site, look up free shipping codes.  Even everyday things like the garbage - It cost $15 for the local guy to take one bag per week, anything extra cost more, much more! The local recycling center charges $2 per bag.  I can keep the costs down even more by recycling, I save about 4 bags per month that way.  So 6 bags a month at $15- each, or 2 bags, recycling and composting, hauling it to the dump myself - $4 v $90...yeah, I'll keep doing it myself.

The biggest savings tho' are the DIY fixes around the house.  When I was younger, I never would have pictured myself with power tools, or doing any plumbing. I had to pay a $50- call out fee ontop of a service fee for a plumber to come out and restart my water heater, so I watched what he did, and now every time it goes out from a storm, I can restart it myself, no big deal.

I get a real kick out of being able to change up a bathroom vanity or put in a fancy kitchen faucet myself.  The one thing I'd love to be able to pay someone else to do tho', is to shovel snow off the roof!  I hate that! I takes me about 5 hours, and it's exhausting!

Living frugally is a way of life - personally I think it's wrong to waste, I grow my own veg, and keep chickens, bake my own bread, pizza,cookies, cakes etc. and make my own yoghurt and compost as much as possible.  If I had more money, I'd probably buy a tractor, build some animal sheds, and keep goats and llamas along with the chickens.  I think it helps kids learn good values and responsibility by teaching them to look after animals and live frugally.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I do have money now and I'm still very careful with it. I can't help it,lol!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd probably still raise a small garden and still look for good deals, but otherwise I'd be more than happy to give up the frugal lifestyle.  After 47 years...it gets old and harder to keep up.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I would still be frugal, its just how I am, I would still clip coupons, shop sales and look for the best price on something.  I also believe in living simply.

lillucky8
by Jen on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I think i would have less stress, but i would still bargain hunt, i kind of get a high when i find things we need for a great deal. It would be nice to feel more financially secure though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

We live frugally by choice.  I was raised that you should put at least as much effort into keeping what you've earned as you put in to earn it.  I did have a time in my early 20s where I went buck wild and ran up some credit card debt, but those days are long gone.

rmp
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I would continue to live frugally even if I did not have to. We prefer to live below our means.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd still live frugal. Banking up the rest of the money for an emergency.

e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Amen to this!

Quoting lillucky8:

I think i would have less stress, but i would still bargain hunt, i kind of get a high when i find things we need for a great deal. It would be nice to feel more financially secure though.

funkycat
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I would remain frugal with the basic things. I actually enjoy thrifting and garage sailing. I try to live simply. I would travel more and be more of a financial aid to organizations and foundations.I would be able to set up a better financial system for emergancies and when I'm elderly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)