Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

We got our taxes back and I have an itch to shop

Posted by   + Show Post

We were able to get a good chunk of change back.  DH replaced our tv which was going and now I want a toy too!  I really want to save money but catch myself browsing jewelery and such online.

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this
$28.. Go ahead! Treat yourself!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM

thats great you got a lot back

Moki75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I am having the same problem.  My husband wanted to save 100% of it.  but we are having to pay for medical bills etc.  this past week has been a killer with the pocket book with medical costs. 

allycat82080
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I did our taxes today on the computer but haven't sent it in yet. If I did it without any mistakes, we're also getting a good bunch back and it's going to pay off medical bills and my credit card. I am so embarrassed that i couldn't pay off my credit card the way it should be paid off. I hate having debts.
allycat82080
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I did our taxes today on the computer but haven't sent it in yet. If I did it without any mistakes, we're also getting a good bunch back and it's going to pay off medical bills and my credit card. I am so embarrassed that i couldn't pay off my credit card the way it should be paid off. I hate having debts.
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this

We spent the last 3 years using our return to pay debts, they were dh's.  Its a good feeling to be able to pay stuff off.  We are debt free now and its liberating.

Quoting allycat82080:

redneck_kids
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Most go to a vacation to Ca. The rest goes to pay off our building and get our trailer out of hock. LOL

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I get what your saying but we all deserve an occassional splurge. Not a diamond ring that blows the budget. But a small reminder of a job well done throughout the year (s). Every year my return goes to bills. This year my kids and I are going on a vacation. We have never gone on a vacation and my oldest is graduating high school. This will be an expensive trip but after 16 yrs of sacrificing I think we deserve it.

Quoting mybratsmom:

Don't do it!!! Imagine where you will be with that much debt GONE!!! Besides, this piece of jewelry won't mean much - just something you bought because "I wanted it". Isn't that what got us all here in the first place? We thought we "deserved" it? You deserve to be debt free.

If you are going to buy something - look around you - what does your home need? The tv was already on its way out, so you replaced it. It's not just your husband's is it? You and the rest of the family benefit from it, right? So if you feel you "need" to buy something, what would you buy that the whole family could enjoy? A bread maker??? I miss mine - we had fresh bread three or four times a week when I had one, now it's once a week because I have to make it by hand. A Kitchenaid mixer?? I use mine for tons of things - ice cream, cookies, rolls, cakes. I probably use mine two or three times a week. A new vacuum, new tires, maybe you have a hobby that you dabble in that has been making some money??? I do - I've been thinking about a new metal etching blade to go with my metal stamps, maybe a new font set, a heat press for my vinyl business...like I said, a ton of things.

I know, I'm the wet blanket on the party. But I also know why I'm in this group, what my ultimate goal is. And I know that when I stop making things about me, and take in the whole picture, my priorities change. But this group is supposed to help us, to lift us up, to keep us in line for these moments, and to motivate us.

Yes, you're going to do whatever you want, maybe roll your eyes and stick out your tongue. I would. But I just thought I'd throw this out there - you just got some money in your hands, money that could potentially change how your family lives the rest of the year.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM
I agree with this.

Quoting nmaxwell816:

We all get that way.  If you find something you really "want" make a list and wait 30 days...go back to the list, if you still want it then go buy it

nmaxwell816
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Last year with my tax return....I wanted a keurig sooo bad...Now I don't even drink coffee.  I made a list.  The only think I ended up buying myself was a kindle fire which I still use often.  The keurig would have just collected dust.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

I agree with this.

Quoting nmaxwell816:

We all get that way.  If you find something you really "want" make a list and wait 30 days...go back to the list, if you still want it then go buy it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)