Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Frugal Fitness

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM
  • 30 Replies

What are some of your best tips for getting in shape on a budget?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM
4 moms liked this

My favorite right now is using a pedometer.  I had an old pedometer in a drawer, and it just needed a new battery.  My MIL and I have been walking everyday and have a goal of getting to 10,000 steps a day.  So far, I've lost 3 pound in our first week walking, and I haven't even hit 10,000 in one day yet!

Investing in a pedometer seems like a pretty cheap and easy way to start getting in shape.

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Heck I don't know and would love to hear from others. 

funmom1109
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM
3 moms liked this
I use fitness pal on my phone it keeps track of calories consumed and progress. It is a free app to use.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sistasunshine
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this

I use myfitnesspal and I keep a journal of everything I eat (usually when I'm out so I can log it once I'm home). So far I've lost 9 lbs in a 2 week period this way.

A dog is the one exercise machine you can't ignore lol. So I take my dog walking 3 mornings a week and give my son a break from this chore. I also found ways to add a little exercise into every part of my day (this is also logged in myfitnesspal). For example, I'll park a long way from the door of the store and have to walk extra steps to get there. I live on the second floor so I go up and down my stairs a few times at random, sometimes skipping steps. I'll do calf raises while I'm washing dishes or in the shower.

I get bored with doing the same thing over and over so I use YouTube for different exercise videos. Sometimes yoga, sometimes cardio, sometimes strength training. Dumbbells or a kettle bell aren't too expensive at walmart, but you can find them at Ross, DD's, and sometimes in thrift stores. If you're just toning then try to find 5-10lb weights and do more repitions of whatever you do.

Also, because I get bored, I spice it up by including my kids. My son is 13 and could probably be a great personal trainer lol. I've given him permission to fuss at me when I don't exercise and to be my drill sargent, reminding me of my goals and my condition (spinal stenosis) to push me to try harder. Even my 3 year old gets in on it!

And lastly, because everything I do has to be low impact, a bike is great! For anything you need including a bike, try registering on http://www.freecycle.org/ and just post what you want. People give things away all the time and you may find someone in your area that's getting rid of some of this stuff. It's a great community where people switch back and forth all kinds of stuff.

Good luck to you!!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Quoting sistasunshine:

I use myfitnesspal and I keep a journal of everything I eat (usually when I'm out so I can log it once I'm home). So far I've lost 9 lbs in a 2 week period this way.

A dog is the one exercise machine you can't ignore lol. So I take my dog walking 3 mornings a week and give my son a break from this chore. I also found ways to add a little exercise into every part of my day (this is also logged in myfitnesspal). For example, I'll park a long way from the door of the store and have to walk extra steps to get there. I live on the second floor so I go up and down my stairs a few times at random, sometimes skipping steps. I'll do calf raises while I'm washing dishes or in the shower.

I get bored with doing the same thing over and over so I use YouTube for different exercise videos. Sometimes yoga, sometimes cardio, sometimes strength training. Dumbbells or a kettle bell aren't too expensive at walmart, but you can find them at Ross, DD's, and sometimes in thrift stores. If you're just toning then try to find 5-10lb weights and do more repitions of whatever you do.

Also, because I get bored, I spice it up by including my kids. My son is 13 and could probably be a great personal trainer lol. I've given him permission to fuss at me when I don't exercise and to be my drill sargent, reminding me of my goals and my condition (spinal stenosis) to push me to try harder. Even my 3 year old gets in on it!

And lastly, because everything I do has to be low impact, a bike is great! For anything you need including a bike, try registering on http://www.freecycle.org/ and just post what you want. People give things away all the time and you may find someone in your area that's getting rid of some of this stuff. It's a great community where people switch back and forth all kinds of stuff.

Good luck to you!!

I've heard a lot about Myfitnesspal, and I think I even have the app on my phone, but I've never used it.  I should probably mess with it today and see what I can do with it.

Freecycle is a great tip too!  I hadn't thought about that.  Maybe I'll check there for a bike.  I'd like to get one by summer.  I'm a shrinky dink, so I actually need an adolecent-sized bike.  LOL!

Thank you for the great tips, and good luck to you too!!

RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

my mil bought a treadmill for her birthday almost 2 yrs ago and never uses it.  For some reason it got put together at my place instead of theirs and it has been in my basement ever since.  I use it 4 - 5 days a wk.  I also use my free on demand exercise videos for pilates and yoga.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Do you have cable or some sort of dish? We have Direct TV, and I never thought of looking for exercise shows on there. I wonder if Netflix has any too?

Quoting RosePetalTears:

my mil bought a treadmill for her birthday almost 2 yrs ago and never uses it.  For some reason it got put together at my place instead of theirs and it has been in my basement ever since.  I use it 4 - 5 days a wk.  I also use my free on demand exercise videos for pilates and yoga.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melissa823
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Youtube workout videos!

chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll second the pedometer.  My dh got a fitbit pedometer at a work sponsored health fair...and I kept it.  I try for 10,000 steps everyday and log onto the site to track my calories against my physical output.  I've been able to take off about 10 lbs and keep it off for about 6 months.  I've got 2 more lbs to go....and I'm not really trying that hard.

I also recently started using some old hand weights to tone up my arms for all those strappy outfits of summer

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Another one I've heard good things about is bodyrocktv.com or .net, I can't remember which. They have a new workout of the day everyday, and I've heard they are only around 10 or 15 minutes. So it's quick and free!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)