Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Cheap Camping Gear?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM
  • 22 Replies

Okay - so my family has been invited to go camping.  Real camping, not in an RV or cabin, but like "no tent, poop in a bush" type camping.

WE DON'T DO THAT.  My husband and I were active duty and swore we would never do that...we're liars.  :) 

So, anyone have any ideas about where the cheapest place to buy gear is??  I'm going to need everything...

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, if you are not going to use it a lot, you can find cheap gear at places like walmart.  They don't hold up to a lot of wear (ie low quality) but it will do for the occasional trip.  Also, you could look online if you don't mind used stuff, depending on what all you want/need.  I love camping, but have never roughed it that much.  We usually at least have a tent and a campground with an outhouse.  Don't forget gear to make smore's :)

fireflymcl
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:01 AM

army surplus store for tarps and such

angelize
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:04 AM
Check out second hand stores, Craigslist and of course Walmart... Are you still active duty? I know our base has outdoor rec that rents out tents and stuff... Maybe check there and see if you can rent?
cjsix
There are many ups and downs through out a marriage and our lives but,if we fight for what we care about most we can make it and find our hearts home <3
Today at 3:02 AM
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:15 AM

We bought our tent that we have now at Kmart.It was on sale for a great price and we need a bigger tent. We paid something like $150 for a 12x14 or 14x16. We also have an air mattress that was about $50 for a queen with 3 layers(I have arthritis so it is a necessity). We take our sheets and blankets we have for our beds. We also have a rubbermaid container that we put the camping dishes, glasses,cups,silverware,dishsoap,clothesline,matches and a pan or two in. It has a second use as a dishpan to wash the dirty dishes in. Other than that we have flashlights,a lantern and a radio...sometimes we take a string of christmas lights to string outside the tent.

lyrick24
by Melissa on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:54 AM

walmart has a lot of good camping gear.

lrose57
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I would also see if your friends have anything they are not using or want to sell.... I mention things to people on facebook and always get a response from someone who is not using whatever I need and wants to sell or pass it on..... word of mouth is the best way to do that....My neighbor always knows who has what and where I can find it cheap...we just asked our parents to give us camping gear when we got married (33 years ago....) and by summer, we had it all.... We now have a camper, but it was fun for awhile in a tent...

nmaxwell816
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:04 AM
I was going to say check all the consignment stores and then go to walmart
matreshka
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM

For cheap an army navy store or walmart. It may not hold up well.  Don't cheap out on a back-pack, your back, shoulders and hips will thank you for that. Also don't cheap out on boots. they last for years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)