Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

couponing

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 9 Replies

i live on a budget and use as many coupons as i can but i was recently watching the show extreme couponing and am flustered at how they save so much!

the coupons i get in the sunday paper seem to have gone from purchasing two items of something to save a small amount to now buying three of an item to save sometimes a whole $.50.

i heard coupons are printed up differently as to the region of the united states it's being sent out to. so for instance, the cost of living is pretty high in california so their coupons help them save more. is that true?

is anyone on here an extreme couponer or use coupons in general? how much does it help and save you?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
nmaxwell816
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I have no idea.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babynurse454
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Im not extreme like they are I consider myself a good couponer, it takes time to get organized. I use my coupon binder, shopping list, clipboard, I price match everything. It took me awhile to get the hang of it. I have my family and neighbors give me their coupons every week, i probably get about 10 stacks weekly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mary841108
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM

i dont use coupons at all but here is a bump.

kimberlync
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a huge couponer. I spend 20 hours or more every week planning out shopping trips, clipping coupons, etc. I am not, however, a TLC Extreme Couponer. That show is exagerated A LOT!! Yes, they're couponing, but we all know there's very few stores in the world that will let you double 400 and 500 coupons at a time, and really, has anyone ever saw 400 packs of Mahatma Rice or Vitamin Water in their stores? The stores prepped for those filmings and also did away with their coupon policies for the day. You can't base your savings on a television show.

I will say that it is absolutely possible to save at least 50% of your grocery bill. I always save anywhere from 50%-75% every single week. The trick is to watch your store sales, make sure you have your coupons in order, print off any online coupons, and shop stores that double coupons. I have a store that doubles up to $1 and another that doubles up to $.60. Those two stores are where I do the majority of my shopping because my coupon is worth more there. For health and beauty items I tend to shop at Walmart because they normally have the lowest prices in my area and I can find a ton of items for free.

Coupons are definitely starting to lower their savings though. I used to get a lot of $.75 off one coupons, but now the company has changed it to $.75 off two, or $1.00 off two. The savings are smaller, but as long as you plan your shopping trip right you will still see at least a 50% savings each shopping trip.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Personally I think that show is faked.  And honestly who wants 100 things of ramen noodles just to say they saved money? 

What I do is stack store coupons with manufactuer coupons with sales.  it took me a while to get it down but I spend about $40 a week now for the 3 of us (DH my 2 yr old and me)

tnovak
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

There have been many articles written about this show and the fraudulent activity going on and promoted by the producers. It is sad.

Theresa
         busy mom

tnovak
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:11 PM

http://www.jillcataldo.com/extremecouponingreality

tnovak
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:11 PM

http://www.jillcataldo.com/supermarket_apologizes_for_extremecouponing

tnovak
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM

http://www.jillcataldo.com/alleged-tlc-extreme-couponing-fraud

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)