Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Car repair question on not getting scammed out of too much money

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:55 PM
  • 13 Replies

So my engine light went on again. Usually its due to the gas cap loosening, tightend that, didn't help, eventually the engine started running rough, especially when stopped. there was a quiet banging/pinging sound near the muffler.

I am thinking it is an exhaust problem after hearing that and reading my manual. I hope its not a catalytic converter problem.

I was thinking of putting that cleaner stuff in my gas tank at the next fill up to see if that would help.

What are the questions I should ask and what are the reasonable rates of repair? (I live in New England so things are a bit more expensive then some places, cheaper than major cities).

Thanks ladies!

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Find an AutoZone near you (I think that's who it is) and you can get a free computer diagnostics test.  THEN decide what you're going to do.

It may be something as simple as an O2 sensor (that's how my car acts when the O2 sensor is dirty or going bad.)  I'd run a can of Seafoam through the next tank full of gas, and if it's an O2 sensor, something as simple as spraying air flow sensor cleaner into the air intake may take care of the problem for now.

matreshka
by Valerie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

We have an autoZone right down the street. And you read my mind, I didnt want to have to pay for someone to do the diagnostic.  r. The dealership charges $125 just for that.

And I'll pick up the seafoam, I remeber seeing that once.

Thanks!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Find an AutoZone near you (I think that's who it is) and you can get a free computer diagnostics test.  THEN decide what you're going to do.

It may be something as simple as an O2 sensor (that's how my car acts when the O2 sensor is dirty or going bad.)  I'd run a can of Seafoam through the next tank full of gas, and if it's an O2 sensor, something as simple as spraying air flow sensor cleaner into the air intake may take care of the problem for now.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM
When was the last time you use fuel injector cleaner? You can pick up a bottle at Walmart. Also because ethanol is bad on engines, you can now buy a treatment you add with gas every so often to help your engine. Also go to autozone, they can run a diagnosis in a few mins.

http://www.stp.com/products/fuel-additives/fuel-system-cleaner-for-ethanol/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Valerie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Never used a fuel injector cleaner.  I've seen it at walmart though.  I am planning on going to autozone today if the car is still giving me problems.  A lot of the time its this quirk with the gas cap that resolves itself in a day and the light goes off.  A mechanic told me its a hyundai thing.

Thanks!

Quoting DawnPratt23:

When was the last time you use fuel injector cleaner? You can pick up a bottle at Walmart. Also because ethanol is bad on engines, you can now buy a treatment you add with gas every so often to help your engine. Also go to autozone, they can run a diagnosis in a few mins.

http://www.stp.com/products/fuel-additives/fuel-system-cleaner-for-ethanol/

Megan11587
by Megan on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:34 AM
I agree- get the free diagnostic test then call around for prices. Car problems are the worst- good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Queen_Bree
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:35 AM
2 moms liked this

You can type the make and model of your car into a google search and add rough running engine or other terms it will pop up discussions about what the problem might be and a price for fixing it. I saved myself about $1000 doing this when I had an engine light on. The dealer wanted to repair something in my electrical system but I tried the fix that was suggested on the site first and sure enough it was fixed by simply removing a part and replacing it for less than $70.If you have a handy friend that can help you I highly suggest you get a diagnostic as the other ladies suggested and then visit the sites to see which problem is most likely. My car is very expensive to fix at the dealer but since using the sites and a handy friend i have never paid more than $200 for any repair. Also try Thepartsbin.com for great prices on parts and supplies. I wish you the best.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Queen_Bree:

You can type the make and model of your car into a google search and add rough running engine or other terms it will pop up discussions about what the problem might be and a price for fixing it. I saved myself about $1000 doing this when I had an engine light on. The dealer wanted to repair something in my electrical system but I tried the fix that was suggested on the site first and sure enough it was fixed by simply removing a part and replacing it for less than $70.If you have a handy friend that can help you I highly suggest you get a diagnostic as the other ladies suggested and then visit the sites to see which problem is most likely. My car is very expensive to fix at the dealer but since using the sites and a handy friend i have never paid more than $200 for any repair. Also try Thepartsbin.com for great prices on parts and supplies. I wish you the best.

Agree!  The gas gauge on my Lexus stuck at 1/4 tank and I did an internet search re: the issue.  The first thing we tried (reset by removing battery cables for a minute) worked!  The mechanic wanted to drop the gas tank and put a new sender unit in...for a few hundred bucks.  Yuck!

matreshka
by Valerie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Thanks, I found out it was the spark plugs misfiring at AutoZone.  My dad used to change his spark plugs himself so I'm thinking its easy, plus the fuze box on my car is easily accessible.  I am going to do some research on how to do it because the mechanic wants $150 "unless there are other problems."

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Queen_Bree
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM

As long as your spark plugs are easily accessable (mine arent) you can easily do them yourself and it will cost you nearly nothing.. I wish you the best!

Quoting matreshka:

Thanks, I found out it was the spark plugs misfiring at AutoZone.  My dad used to change his spark plugs himself so I'm thinking its easy, plus the fuze box on my car is easily accessible.  I am going to do some research on how to do it because the mechanic wants $150 "unless there are other problems."

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Queen_Bree
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM

http://www.howcast.com/videos/151602-How-to-Change-Spark-Plugs

here is a video on how to change spark plugs. Im not sure if you are confused but spark plugs have nothing to do with the fuse box. They are on the top of the engine.

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting Queen_Bree:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)