Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

What would you stock up on? (PIOG) updated

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 20 Replies

We are trying to plan what to do with our tax return. We were thinking that stocking up on some non-perishable (or long expiration date) foods and grocery items would be a good way to use some of our return (after getting 2 of our children new mattresses! Yay!). We're a bigish family (2 adults, 4 kids) and our oldest just turned into a teenager and already eats like one. I'm amazed at how much food this kid puts away and doesn't seem to gain a pound (I wish he would! He's built like a twig! LOL).

If given the opportunity, what items would you stock up on?

My mind is in a fog at the moment so outside of TP and dishwasher detergent and stuff to make laundry detergent, I'm drawing a blank. I'm blaming "mommy brain" since all four of my kids are chattering my ears off at the moment. LOL

Update:

What I've gotten so far (had to take a break because the baby was in desperate need of a nap)...

25 lbs flour

20 lbs sugar

10 bags of dried beans

12 bags of various pastas

3 bags of rice (2 white, 1 brown)

4 bottles of salad dressing

several bottles of other condiments (ketchup, mustard, sauces, etc)

8 boxes of cereal

3 bags of cereal

20 lbs ground beef

3 loaves of cinnamon bread (great for french toast and it freezes beautifully)

5 cans spaghetti sauce

8 large cans of tomatoes or tomato sauce

2 big boxes of oats

6 bags of various chips for cookies (semi-sweet, white, butterscotch)

8 cans of beans

8 bags of various snack foods (tortilla chips, pretzels, cheese puffs - not the healthiest but my kids only get them once a week or so)

2 big tubs (5 quarts each) of ice cream (I know, not really a "stock up" item but my oldest is skinny and he gets a shake a night to try and gain some weight)

3 boxes of dishwasher detergent (found a great deal on that one, that will last us all year)

2 large jars of peanut butter

6 boxes of crackers (2 each of store brand ritz, butter and graham)

6 16 oz blocks of cheese

6 cans of frozen juice concentrate

a 50 lb bag of potatoes (which will not last long in my house ebcause we eat potatoes a LOT!)

Total spent: $170

I still have a few things on my list: chicken (which is on sale for 99 cents a pound this week), frozen veggies (10 bags for $10), TP, white vinegar (I make my own cleaners), laundry detergent supplies (I make that too), couscous, shampoo, conditioner, and soap and anything else I can think of.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I would stock up on non-perishables like pastas rice, etc, herbs spices,  and frozen veggies and meats.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I agree though I don't eat meat so I wouldn't stock up on that. With a big family and big appetites I'd be baking bread and making soups often.

Quoting matreshka:

I would stock up on non-perishables like pastas rice, etc, herbs spices,  and frozen veggies and meats.

Moki75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I just did this but with meat and rice and pasta.  Today or tomorrow I plan on getting canned things. I want a 6 month supply and then I will start some long term storage things 

cutestmom24
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I would stock.up on diapers to be totally honest.then i would buy a few weeks supply of my dd's soy milk.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM

i'd stock up on flours, sugar, dry beans, rice, lentils, couscous, dry milk, pasta, pasta sauce (if you don't make it),cereal, oatmeal (instant or just oats)  i make my own cleaner so i'd get a few gallons of vinegar, couple boxes of baking soda, toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex, laundry and dish soap if you don't make your own....maybe some frozen veggies

greenishgirl
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Canned tomatoes, vegetables, dried beans, lentils, pastas, canned fruit for the pantry. Frozen foods that we eat often, chicken, beef, sausage for the freezer. I would also buy the ingredients to make lasagne and casseroles then stock the freezer with the premade meals. I would also stock up on breads and tortillas and then freeze them. DIshwasher detergent, toilet paper, laundry soap, Ziploc bags, deoderants/ shampoos/ body soap...

Also, if you are afraid you won't have the budget in the future for fresh foods, maybe get some grocery gift cards to use when the budget isn't there.

oddfox
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I'd probably go with foods with a longer shelf life. Peanut butter is a good one. Look for a sale and stock up. Pasta is another. Rice, beans, dried milk, oatmeal, raisins, sugar. I KNOW what you mean about the kids socking it away. If you garden and can, canning lids. If you bake your own bread and have a large freezer, flour and bulk yeast.

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Foods- meats, cheeses, frozen veggies, frozen fruits, canned tomato sauce and paste, flour, sugar, yeast, chocolate chips, spices, vinegar, pastas and rice.

Non-foods- toilet paper, tissues, napkins, paper towel, wipes, diapers, batteries, laundry supplies, cleaning supplies, water softener salt, furnace filters, oil for the car and oil filters.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM
We are going to buy a deep freeze and fill it with meat and such. And buy pantry items. It will be nice to see full cupboards
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM

That is a good idea.  Hope it works out.  I'm not much of a stock person so I have no idea. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)