Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Saving money on meat

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM
  • 15 Replies

The supermarket my husband works at started selling Meat Bundles.  They usually contain about 10lbs of meat (combination of hamburger, pork and chicken) for around $25.  It's saved us a bunch on meat these last few weeks.  I don't know how many supermarkets do this but it's worth checking out.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

i've never heard about this, i'll check it out! Thanks

kiske
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I wish more did.  I think we save when we buy at the meat market but their bundles are much larger and more expensive at one time than yours.

oddfox
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Our store has them but they're much higher. They tend to be a bit higher than sale prices on the meats included. I shop bulk on loss leaders and that does better for us over all. One week I'll buy ground beef, another week a pork loin, another week chicken... then divide it up into pound packages, pop them in the freezer and rotate meats for meals.

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Awesome!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy06and09
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM
what supermarket is it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Schnucks 

Quoting mommy06and09:

what supermarket is it?

Purgatorian
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I recently stopped in to a local butcher shop on the way home one evening.  The meat was so much fresher and tastier than the local grocery stores.  As well as CHEAPER. (.20 cents a pound on ground beef) They had deals on some limited seafood as well.  Shrimp was $3 cheaper than the local groceries and Basa fillets $4 cheaper, both of which turned out to be fresher and tastier than the local store.

They have meat bundles, different sizes, quantities, and what they put in there.  I was impressed by the look of the meats in the cases and the butcher was more than helpful.

I will probably never go back to the regular grocery stores meat isle again.

Oh! and on the way out, there was was an entire cooler of bones cut up in different sizes.  For stocks and such I imagine, but my DOG loves that I found that place to!

I googled "butcher shop" in a few cities and it seems even small towns usually have a dedicated butcher or meat market.  Maybe something to check into?

steveshouse
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Agreed. Theres a place called Hardin's in Raeford, NC that does the same thing. They make bigger bundles than 10lb of meat and I just found out that if you want to make your own you call ahead and they'll price it for you.

cookin_mama665
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

There was a time that all I bought was meat bundles, but I am now finding that sale prices are often much cheaper.   The downside of the meat bundles was that we ate basically the same thing each month.  I would recommend trying different bundles if they are available.

Babujai
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I think there are three different bundles.  I'm not really good with buying meat, so when I was buying everything separately I was still pretty much buying the same things all the time.

Quoting cookin_mama665:

There was a time that all I bought was meat bundles, but I am now finding that sale prices are often much cheaper.   The downside of the meat bundles was that we ate basically the same thing each month.  I would recommend trying different bundles if they are available.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN